The Legend

The Legend

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Boo

Well hello there old friends.  Didn't mean to scare you.

It's your old friend Matt providing a proof of life.

Thought it was an appropriate time to provide an update so Google doesn't throw my blog in the trash. Being that my last post was in October the death blow could have happened any day.

Thankfully I don't feel as cardboard isolated as I was expecting when I shutdown the blog. Twitter has given me a nice platform to stay in touch.  While nowhere near as fun as blogging I can at least give proof of life to my old friends.

Like most social media Twitter is a vast wasteland of festering garbage, but over time you can make it a handy tool.  You just have to learn to navigate the 1000 people trying to sell you crap and "trendsetters" trying to tell you what you should be buying.  As you can tell by the use of two gifs Twitter has already polluted my brain.

Collecting wise I have had some fun developments over the past months. I had mentioned that I was close to finishing my WVU organization project.  Happily I can say that it is complete.....at least the first stage.  I have everything in binders in alphabetical order.  Some players had so much that they got their own.  While I'm still not at the Excel sheet or Trading Card Database level of organization I can at least open a binder and see if I have a card in a short amount of time.  The long term goal would be Excel sheet level, but baby steps.....

Back in October I had also made reference to planning the great Pirate sorting project.  While I still have no idea what the hell I'm doing.  I'm giving it the old college try.

The sorting trays are at least helping me see what players are best represented.  This has allowed me start binders for some of the long term Buccos like Cutch, Marte and Bay.  Its a big project....like 10 monster box and multiple plastic storage containers big, but its rewarding to see things taking shape.  I also enjoy doing it which helps. Everything just comes down to time.  Sorting is one of those things that in order to clean up a mess you have to make a mess. 

Between all the organization projects I've still managed to add some cards.  The majority of my focus has been my Jevon Carter collection. 




Basketball collectors go crazy over Prizm, but so far my favorite additions have been the Rated Rookies and Certified Material parallels.  I guess I like cards that if you stare at them long enough may cause a seizure. 

The Pirates will always be the main focus, but honestly I haven't bought too much in that area. I still scour checklists for guys getting their first cards, but the majority of the acquisitions have been potluck/obscure.



I'm a sucker for obscure autos like this.  Sets like Topps Lineage and Heritage have some great names and I've been making my way through the lists.  This Bob Del Greco and Gair Allie is my most recent acquisition. 
He has a terrible auto, but I don't care.  Look at that beauty. Bonilla and Manny Sanguillen were always the top of the list for needing Pirate certified autos and finally over the past two years both have came to be. Now we just need the Holy Grail.....BOB WALK


When I first started blogging I had made reference that I use to collect everything under the sun, but consolidated to make the Pirates and WVU the main focus.  A fun loophole is adding dual autos like this Trevor Story/Josh Bell auto. 


How about an obscure patch card! When I saw this it was a must buy too. 


If you like to "prospect" but don't want to spend crazy amounts of money, alternatives exist.  If I were to buy the Bowman alternative to this Contenders card it would cost $100's.  This cost me less than $10. With that being said I love Bowman cards and try to get all the Pirates that I can.  In my experience their is almost always a lull in which to prices come down to a more manageable amount.  For every Trout/Harper you have tons of other guys that either get hurt or don't perform at some point that causes said player to lose some prospect luster. 

Obviously I'm speaking as a Pirate collector but I'm fairly certain this holds true across the board.  Even the "hot" players now like Austin Meadows, Cole Tucker and Tyler Glasnow had points you could pick up autos on the cheap.  Tucker and Glasnow were at $5 for extended periods of time.  Tons of stories of Aaron Judge autos selling for less than $10. Patience is always a big thing if you want to save money.   

I saw a superfractor 1/1 of former Pirate prospect and current Blue Jay farmhand Reese McGuire sell for over $1300 back in March.  His ceiling is likely of a backup at the MLB level.  Even if he turned into an everyday player that is still a crazy amount.  You could literally buy an auto of Trout, Pujols, Harper, Jeter, Betts and multiple other people and still have money to spare.  You could even get a Mike Trout Bowman Sterling auto for about $1300.  That is always what is mind boggling. 

The beauty about collecting is their is no wrong way.  My thought process is always going to be as a collector rather than an investor.  So it probably is true that when you get that big player it more than pays for tons of misses.  I just have a hard time grasping the gold auto /50 of a guy that is not even rated as a "top" guy in that system going for $1000's.  I just feel if you waited at least 6 months past release you will save yourself a lot of money.  I guess its the Mike Trout/Albert Pujols syndrome.  The fear of missing out on the next big thing. 

Ultimately my inability the grasp the thought process behind these purchases doesn't mean they are wrong.....In some ways I do enjoy the attention these bring to the hobby.  The overall sportscard catalog is vast.  If you can't find something you like you probably need to take a long hard look in the mirror.   Its reasonable to question the direction the hobby is heading but trends generally come and go.  Just sit back and enjoy the ride. 

Enough of that.  See what card Twitter has done to me. 



Travel wise I've been pretty dormant over the winter.  That is about to change here in a month as I'll be in San Diego and Orlando in May.  Baseball trip and the cartoon mouse will be a lot in a short span, but both will be fun in their own way.


Hope everyone is enjoying the baseball season.  The Pirates can't hit worth a damn, but the pitching has been awesome so things are going pretty well.  Probably not sustainable, but I'm enjoying the ride.

Thanks for reading. 


















34 comments:

  1. This. "The fear of missing out on the next big thing."

    I see so many collectors hoarding rookies thinking a rookie is going to be the next Mike Trout, Tom Brady or LeBron James.

    It's a tiring game that I don't feel like playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its and odd phenomenon. I do enjoy being a spectator on Twitter and looking at sale prices on eBay. A gold auto of Wander Franco is selling for about the same price as a high grade Jordan rookie.

      Delete
  2. Since I don't have (or plan to use) Twitter, it's nice to see an update from time to time...maybe make one 4 times a year, like once a season?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely do that. Its good to touch base. My hope is to someday get back on a regular schedule, but I was just running out of free time in my day. The time I do have needed to be away from the computer.

      Delete
  3. Welcome back. Ugh Prospecting. Don't care for it. Don't like it, Don't do it. I have always been an in it for the hobby guy not the money. Could never afford to be an only in it for the money guy.

    Congrats on making headway in the organizing or re-organizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun to try if I had the money, but too risky for my blood. Plus the thought process behind it never made a whole bunch of sense. Too each their own.

      I'll likely be organizing for the rest of my life, but at least if I come up with a system it will be partially done....

      Delete
  4. Glad to see the post up. Did see the sorting getting done on one of your Twitter pics. Prospecting definitely not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some cards set aside for you! I've been sending out some packages lately so it shouldn't be long now!

      Delete
  5. It's good to have you back! The Buccos are a fun young team and I am going to enjoy seeing these prospects perform over the year with this pitching staff. I think that Musgrove, Archer, Taillon, and Williams are all legit pitchers in the 3.25 ERA range so it is very likely we will see some regression as the season goes on, but I think the staff as a whole will be a top 5 rotation in baseball. I wish they could solve the 7th and 8th inning problems soon.

    As for the cards, I picked up a bunch of Tucker, Hayes, and Glasnow a few years ago. I had no intention of flipping them for investment purposes, but enjoyed meeting them at minor league games and wanted to have a few of their early cards before they made their debuts. I only grabbed a few Swaggerty USA cards so far.

    I have no idea about basketball cards, but I loved Prizm Baseball a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was odd that they just gave the 3rd base job to Kang. Sure he was mashing homeruns in Spring Training, but he is striking out at almost a 50% clip.

      I've been picking up some non Bowman Swaggerty stuff as well. Hopefully soon his Bowman stuff will be at a better price.

      Somehow Prizm rookies got designated the "must have" They are not, but not my favorites.

      Delete
  6. Good to see you back on the blog, even if it is just for a seasonal update. I have no idea who that kid is, but you're basketball rainbow's sure are looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that BWTP didn't want Google to delete his blog due to inactivity gives me hope that he will return once again. :)

      Regardless, it's good to hear things are going well!

      Delete
    2. I'll be back someday. Just no timetable yet.

      Delete
  7. Yahoo! A Pirate sighting! Raise the flags! That sort looks fun! It's how I relax. Wonderful to see you in my feed, Matt. Glad life is treating you well. Come back soon now - you hear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll still try and give a quarterly update. By the way I got your cards. I'll give a proper thank you on Twitter soon.

      Delete
    2. No worries there, Matt. Glad you have them! I wanted you to know I was thinking of you!

      Delete
    3. Really appreciate it. That Marte auto was fantastic

      Delete
  8. Hey stranger! Good to see you're still breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see the blog back up and running again, even if it is just for a single post! And that photo is yet another indication that I really need to think about purchasing one of those sorting trays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do come in handy if you have a knack of waiting too long in between sorting periods.

      Delete
  10. Good to see you back around here, Bob-O.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post and it was good hearing from you again. Just recently joined Twitter and it is a mine field. Still I'm figuring it out and there are some definite positives to it. Understand life's demands but enjoy your blog. And I've always been a fan of Bob Walk. To see a blog named after him has always blown me away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. The name originated a long time ago between a friend and I who I always talked Pirates with. One day we got in an email exchange of fun blog names and this was the winner!

      Delete
  12. Welcome back, even if it's to stave off the "Google Death"...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to see you're alive and kickin'. Love that Bonilla autograph. I've been trying to add one of his to my collection for a few years now. He doesn't have a lot of certified autographs floating around out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be sneaky expensive depending on what reprint card is used. I've gotten a couple for under $10.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the updates and glad to always see you on Twitter. But happy to see a new post. I will be posting your awesome mail day soon. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My name is Darci Lyne. This is a very happy day of my life thanks to the help that Dr. .nosakhare has given me to help me recover my ex-husband with his spell of love and magic. I was married for 6 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating and looking for a divorce, but when I came across Dr..nosakhare email on the internet about how he has helped so many people get their ex back and help fix the relationship and make people happy in their relationship. I explained my situation and then I sought his help, but to my greatest surprise, he told me that he would help me with my case and that I am now celebrating because my husband has totally changed for the better. He always wants to be by my side and can not do anything without my present. I am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. I will continue to testify on the Internet because Dr..nosakhare is a true spell caster. NEED HELP? CONTACT
    -Email- blackmagicsolutions95@gmail.com
    you can also add him on Whats-app: +2349083639501
    He is the only answer to your problem and makes you feel happy in your relationship. And it is also perfect in your relationship.
    you want your ex back?
    want a love spell for a new lover?
    Childless problem solution?
    Financial problem solution?
    Weak Erection & Quick Ejaculation?
    solution to sickness and diseases of the body
    All type of problem solution by astrology?
    Divorce problem solution?

    ReplyDelete