The Legend

The Legend

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Tools of the Trade

Spent a good bit of this evening organizing recent trade package arrivals. I think I reached out to most of you that sent something to let you know they arrived safe and sound.  Should have some trade posts up soon.  The blogosphere are a bunch of good eggs!

Here is a cool arrival via eBay.


2003 Playoff Absolute Memorabilia Quad Relic /10

Sorry for the blurry pick as I didn't want to fool around with taking this out of the screwdown. This Giles features fielding and batting gloves to go along with a piece of shoe and hat. I've had a few variations of these over the years, but I think this is the lowest numbered. It is one of the more interesting relics you will find. 

I'm actually a little surprised that this practice of using different types of relics hasn't caught on a little more lately.  It seems like you could get some cool cards using hats and gloves. You still see this a decent amount in hockey cards, but the other sports hasn't caught on.  Maybe these are too expensive to acquire. 

If I recall this card cost me less than $10 which is probably about right for a high end Giles relic.  I have a good collection of Giles cards so finding a card like this always makes me excited. 

Thanks for reading. 


10 comments:

  1. Yay Tools of the Trade! Love those, especially the 2005 edition. You're right that it's a shame you don't get more varied relics these days. How hard could it be to grab some game-used (or otherwise, as if we'd know) hats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my thinking. The only bad thing is they would be used in some super premium $400 set. Let us have our hat cards Topps!

      Delete
  2. playoff had some great gu inserts. i liked the team duos/trios/quads quite a bit, but tott were great, too - especially when gloves or cleats were involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so unique. I remember them being pretty popular too so I'm a little surprised that Panini or Topps hasn't tried this again.

      Delete
  3. I used to be obsessed with the Tools of the Trade series back during my heavy jersey/auto collecting days. They're still some of the only cards I've ever seen that feature fielding gloves, shin guards, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Playoff and Pacific my two favorite brands-great looking card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 90's Pacific is high on my list too. Still get excited when I see a Cramers Choice card.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Ha, my least favorite eBay description of all time.

      Delete