The Legend

The Legend

Friday, July 28, 2017

A Vast Array of Parallels and Inserts: Cutch Happens

I stopped shopping for Andrew McCutchen cards a long time ago.  Once he officially broke out as an MVP level player his card prices went through the roof. I'm lucky to add one or two a year now.  I'm sure I can speak for Brian of Collecting Cutch fame that if you wanted a complete collection you had to buy in early.  Parallels of some of those early rookie cards are very expensive now.  Cutch also stopped signing several years back so that added to the value of some of those early releases.  

The other side of the coin is that since Cutch did stop signing it made it easier for super collectors like Brian to fill in holes.  While Cutch cards always carry a premium it is much easier to buy a /99 parallel than looking for a /10 patch auto.  Brian is such a big collector of Cutch that he ended up with some doubles of higher end parallels that he shipped my way as part of a contest win. Our community is the best! 

Check these out. 


I only have a few Gold Label cards from the recent versions of the set.  The late 90's version was always one of my favorites. This card is gold framed and has a considerable amount of weight to it.

 Immaculate is one of the best sets you can buy on the secondary market. Of the non licensed sets it is in my top 3. It is hard to see but this a very nice parallel /25.
Sets like Heritage is where I would probably lose all interest in being a super collector.  Brian probably needs to take on an employee just to keep track of all the variations every year. Trying to find parallels of cards that are already short printed has to be maddening.


Optic is another set I haven't done much with so getting this Diamond King of Cutch is really cool. I don't know why Panini doesn't try to get more shots of guys in plain clothes or more head shots without hats or helmets. Panini products have great value and checklists, but for whatever reason they are just happy to airbrush something out.
This card is a much better non licensed cards.  You still have the blank helmet, but this looks like a Pirates card with limited airbrushing.
It is always awesome to receive high end base parallels. To this day I've still only opened one high end product and I just didn't enjoy the process.  Thank goodness for blog trades and eBay!
Catching a batter in midswing helps hide a lot of licensing issues! Prizm is a set I opened a lot of a few years back.  To this day I've still haven't seen a set have such a great auto checklist for the price of the box.

Another high end base card!
Now this is a good looking card.

Thanks for all the Cutch cards Brian! I'm in awe of your collection and appreciate you sending some extras my way.  You are the craziest Cutch collector I know! Are you aware of any other Cutch super collectors that are on your level? 

Thanks for reading! 

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the cards. I'm not aware of anyone on my level in terms of both quantity and quality. I'm sitting on over 1,800 unique cards of Cutch and nearing in on the 200 mark for 1/1s (at 160ish) Obviously during this time I have come across some duplicates when buying lots. I recently bought a lot of Bowmans just so I could get 2 new cards (1 being a 1/1). There are a few other collectors of Cutch, but they just don't have the quantity that I am at right now. I've got a bunch more parallels and non Cutch Pirates cards/game used equipment to come your way if you want to make any blockbuster trades. Off hand I need the Triple Threads Unity Relics /9 (forms PNC Park), the Octopatch booklet, and the black background Tier 1 Crowd Pleaser auto. Lmk if you would be willing to move any of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we can work something out. The hard one for me to give up is the Octopatch, but it does probably fit in your collection better than mine

      Delete
  2. That Optic DK is cooool!

    Brian's Cutch collection is out of this world! The dedication to the cause is super impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always amazed at supercollectors. The dedication it takes would be overwhelming to me.

      Delete
  3. These are some really good looking cards. I like the Gold Label card up at the top. I pulled one of those, a Joe Morgan, out a pack and have picked up a few others off of the Ebay and COMC. Wish the frames were a little sturdier, but really good looking cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them....Would never buy a box, but great to cherry pick.

      Delete
  4. very generous of Brian. you guys have a lot in common when it comes to giving!!

    ReplyDelete