The Legend

The Legend

Thursday, February 27, 2014

WTF JW2 1/1

I own a lot of unique cards but this one probably takes the prize.  This is a 2004 Donruss Elite Aspirations 1/1 auto of Jack Wilson.  Did his kid sign it?  Maybe he thought he would make the 1/1 extra special?  All I know is that this is one of the weirder cards I've ever seen.

Jack used the same walk up music his entire career.  Jumpin Jack Flash....Great Song!

Wilson was a mainstay in the Pirates lineup from 2001 to 2009.  A plus defender most of his career he would often make crazy defensive plays going to his right and making jump throws to first.   He earned his only All Star appearance in 2004 when he had a career offensive year accumulating over 200 hits.  The Pirates have had trouble filling Jack's shoes since his trade to the Mariners in 2009.  Lets hope Jordy Mercer can develop into a productive everyday shortstop.





4 comments:

  1. That's crazy! I'd love to know the story behind it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've owned it for a long time. It would be nice to know what the motivation was to sign it like that.

      Delete
  2. I did a Google search on his 2004 Elite auto and discovered he has a regular signature version. Maybe someone took nailpolish or WD40 to the original autograph and made this very limited JW2 graph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always figured it was fake. Always wondered the thought process of making such a weird card....especially on someone who sells so cheap to begin with. It was worth the price I paid just for the conversation factor. I'll have to be on the lookout for Jack Wilson doing an autograph signing to ask him myself!

    ReplyDelete