The Legend

The Legend

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Bay Day 1/1


2005 Leaf Century Collection Jason Bay 1/1 Auto

I haven't shown off many of my Jason Bay autos since I started the blog even though I have more of his autos than any other Pirate.  Bay was the best player on some horrible Pirate teams.  Anybody who followed the Pirates in the mid 2000's probably has a soft spot for the former Bucco outfielder.  Injuries derailed his career but at his peak he was an all star caliber player.  

Most Bay autos would sell for $10-35 depending on rarity during his prime years.  I remember at the time thinking that buying an auto of a Pirate for $35 seemed like a lot of money.  It is amazing how success can change the card market.  Even the most common Andrew McCutchen auto sells for $50 bucks now.  How times do change.  



6 comments:

  1. Baylander: there can only be one. Nice pickup, Matt! I wouldn't mind seeing more of his autos in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could have the Summer of Bay. For the longest time Bay was just about the only veteran that was getting releases for the Pirates. Needless to say I accumulated a lot of them.

      Delete
  2. As a huge fan of Jason Bay, I always enjoy seeing his autograph. I've got a Jason Bay auto planned for tomorrow's post as a matter of fact. Go Bucs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I was telling Dennis above Bay was just about the only guy to collect for a couple of years in the mid 2000's. It was easy to accumulate a boatload of autos.

      Delete
  3. I always like Jason Bay -- he was a mainstay on my fantasy baseball teams back then because he was pretty dependable before the injuries sapped his abilities and before becoming a Met sapped his abilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been nice to see him stay in Boston. He tore it up in Fenway. At least he got his one big payday from the Mets.

      Delete