The Legend

The Legend

Friday, August 1, 2014

Back in Time

2004 Fleer Connexions Dual Auto Craig Wilson/Jack Wilson /25

This was one of the first Pirate dual autos in my collection.  I may have had a Stadium Club Co-Signers before this as some of these cards start to blend in together.  One things for sure is that this was one of my first ever eBay purchases for a sportscard.  I had been on eBay for a long time (2001) as I was really into Magic the Gathering and didn't have a local shop that sold MTG singles.  One of my friends owned a card shop until 2004 so eBay didn't serve a purpose for me baseball card wise until he closed his doors.  I'm always envious of people who still have a nice LCS to visit.

I always liked this dual as you can barely see the stickers.  It was rare for the Pirates during this time period to have high end releases so when I heard about this card I had to have it.  One of these popped up not to long ago and surprisingly still fetched a decent price.  Hard to believe this has been in my collection for over ten years.  

Jack Wilson played shortstop for the Pirates from 2001-09 and Craig Wilson was a utility player from 2001-06.  While no relation, both Wilson's were good players.  I think Craig's skill set would be a little more appreciated today as he was a high obp guy who could play multiple positions.  The Pirates for some reason cut ties with him for next to nothing in return.  Typical move for a mid 2000's Pirates team.  

Have a great weekend!


6 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite cards. I was pretty surprised at how much the last copy went for...I picked up my copy for less than $10 about 2-3 years ago.

    Not sure if you ever heard the story that the Pirates under Dave Littlefield didn't want Craig Wilson as a starter because he drank too much Pepsi and didn't have a "baseball body." He was one of my favorites during the early 00's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the story that inspired me to show this card. I had lunch with a buddy of mine who is a huge Pirates fan as well and we discussed some of the classic Pirates mismanagement.

      Delete
  2. I had a roommate in college who went on to be a *professional* MTG player. He was so good that Wizards of the West Coast hired him for a while. His wife still works for Wizards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I loved playing the game, but it got hard to find the time to play. Plus Magic and baseball cards would be a little bit on the pricey side. I actually sold off some of my cards in the mid 2000's to buy some high end Pirates. Magic cards have held their value pretty well over the years. The first few sets are worth a fortune.

      Delete
  3. I played M:tg back in the day, I still do the rare sealed deck tournament to see if I still can play. Last time finished 12th out of 45 I was pretty happy with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to start playing again. I keep wondering if it is like riding a bike. It has been close to ten years since I last played.

      That is pretty cool you did so well.

      Delete