The Legend

The Legend

Monday, March 28, 2016

Burger Chef

A couple weeks back Angus of Dawg Day Cards sent me an email to be on the lookout for a purchase that he was having directly shipped to me. Little did I know it would be something so unique....



How about a full sheet of Pirate discs still on the original Triple Play Funmeal backing! The 4 discs on the instruction side are the heavy hitters for the Buccos during the time featuring Stargell, Parker, Candy Man and Al Oliver.

Being that I was born in 1982 Burger Chef was already in the process of being sold so I never got to experience one. My parents told me that their were several of them close to the area I grew up. From what I read the holding company that owned Hardees bought them out and either closed them or rebranded them as Hardees.

The kid in me wants to poke all of these out, but I think the collector in me will keep them in their natural state at least for the time being.  I need to ask my Dad if he remembers the promotion. Why were discs so prevalent during this time?

This is what makes blogging great. I was well aware of oddball releases before blogging, but I never fully grasped just how many existed. I think Tony L single handedly traded me about 5000 differents over the course of my 2 + years of blogging. Now Angus surprises me with this gem. Ain't blogging grand!

Thanks for reading.


17 comments:

  1. I too always wondered why discs were so popular - why not just make them as traditional cards. Nevertheless, the disc shape does add a little bit of extra oddball charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing they were probably cheaper to produce. Like you said though, it is an extra bit of charm.

      Delete
  2. Very cool oddball Matt. Although now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very unique thing to send out for a trade. I'm really happy to have it in my possession.

      Delete
  3. Channeling my inner Samuel L. Jackson and saying "That is a tasty burger!"

    It had to be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm replaying that whole Pulp Fiction scene in my head right now.

      Delete
  4. I have no personal recollection of Burger Chef, though it appears that there were at least a few around Milwaukee when I was a kid. It's amazing how isolated life in the 1970s could be!

    However, I do doubt whether I've traded you 5000 different oddballs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I read that their were several in West Virginia. I think most of them had closed before I was even walking.

      You are the oddball guy for sure.

      Delete
  5. I've noticed that the same disc design was used for all kinds of oddball brands - Tastee freez had the same shape discs, I wonder how that all came about. Maybe Bob Lemke knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of discs out there. I know I have a handful of different companies.

      Delete
  6. I had a Burger Chef close by that we frequented but I don't ever remember seeing these. I picked one up a couple of year ago. These discs are smaller than most MSA discs. Similar in size to the ones wiffle ball put out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't notice that they are smaller than other disc issues. That is interesting.

      Delete
  7. never had a burger chef in my area. what a cool and very oddball set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome. One of the better surprised I have ever received.

      Delete