The Legend

The Legend

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Hitting the Brakes

You know how when someone is pitching a no hitter the rest of the team avoids the player like the plague and announcers try not to mention it.  The equivalent in my house is when my daughter decides to actually fall asleep early. I have a bunch of cards to scan, but I decided to make minimal noise and go with a one card post. Shhhhhhhhh.......

2000 Pacific Crown Collection Premiere Date Parallel Brian Giles /27

I get way too excited when I find cards like this. The Pirates only had a few notable players during this time period so for the most part I'm mainly looking for Giles and Jason Kendall. When this card popped up I was just hoping the price didn't get out of hand. Thankfully the card went off for $3.99, but the seller had $3.50 shipping so that stung a little. 

The scary thing about this item was that the seller had hundreds of Pacific parallels. For a minute I thought about going crazy, but cooler heads prevailed.  Even if I had bid, I wouldn't have won many as the big names went off for high dollar amounts.  In the end I got the card I wanted and my bank account appreciated me not bulk buying cards that have nothing to do with my collection. 

Thanks for reading! 

12 comments:

  1. Did the packaging reflect that heavy mail fee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but I knew that going in. I think the seller is just trying to make people bid on more than one card. The only way I think $3.50 can be worth it is if he added delivery confirmation and shipped the card in one of the magnetic one touch holders.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Love picking up parallels from this era. I probably only get a couple a year so it is exciting.

      Delete
  3. I hate it when that happens, you get all excited about finding a long desired card at a reasonable and then find that shipping alone is more than its truly worth. Obviously you still get a nice card out of the deal and the world keeps on spinning, so I guess that's really small potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was ok with the price even with shipping, but I've passed on a lot of cards for that very reason.

      Delete
  4. Those Pacific Inserts and Parallels are tough on the wallet-great pick up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. A lot of the big names went in the $20-50 range.

      Delete
  5. Gray whale territory right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. This is the area where COMC is a good source to buy cards. That flat rate shipping is key for all the.99 cards.

      Delete
  6. Once again, a gentle reminder that Pacific was/is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt! I'm watching a few more right now. It has been a good week for Pacific cards on eBay.

      Delete