The Legend

The Legend

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Rounding Things Out

It is always kind of weird to see a long tenured player move on. Such was the case with Neil Walker. I'm a team collector so when a guy moves on that puts a stop to that collection. Now I can focus on finding some cards that I missed over the years.

Like this one.....

2004 Donruss Elite Neil Walker Status /10

My auto/relic collection of Neil is fairly complete so most of my needs are parallels. I was happy to see this card pop up as I have a few variations of this card, but this now becomes the rarest. The extra bonus was that it only cost a shade below $10. Walker cards have a tendency to have some weird price fluctuations. This card could sell for $5 one day and easily go for $25 the next.  My only guess is that he has a few active supercollectors. 

It will be weird seeing Walker in a Mets uniform next year, but the writing was on the wall. He was entering his last year of arbitration and the Pirates didn't seem too interested in a long term pact. He would be 31 by the time a new deal would start so I'm guessing the Pirates probably think they have already got the best years. 

Thanks for reading! 

6 comments:

  1. It's always hard when a home town kid leaves. Trust me, I know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just don't think the Pirates knew what to do with him if he had stayed. He would have probably needed a position change before too long.

      Delete
  2. The last guy I felt that way about was Aramis Ramirez. With the whole rebuild thing going on for the last few years, the turnover has kept me from getting attached to players in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't super attached to Neil Walker, but if Cutch or Marte ever leave I will be depressed.

      Delete
  3. Now Neil Walker is teammates with Dilson Herrera who was at point a potential 2B heir to Walker in Pittsburgh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought for sure that the Mets would go with Herrera this year. Kind of funny that Neil Walker continues to block him even with a new team!

      Delete