The Legend

The Legend

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Dropkicked Cole




My wife surprised me with tickets to the Dropkick Murphys show tonight in Pittsburgh.  Should be a fun time! Work tomorrow might be difficult.....

Card time!



2013 Bowman Chrome Gerrit Cole /50

In a perfect world I would love to add more Chrome autos and rookies to my collection, but the art of prospecting is something I'll never quite understand. The prices sometimes get so out of hand that I abandon all hope and try to find the Panini Elite or Leaf Trinity equivalent. I have no brand loyalty.

With that being said I do sometimes luck into cards. Gerrit Cole had a little lull in his prices at a few points in his minor league career so I was able to snag up most of his base autos and a couple refractors. That method seems to suit me best for high end rookie autos.  Sure you will get burnt by the likes of guys like Mike Trout and Bryce Harper for not acting early, but more times than not you will find a point when prices calm to a more comfortable amount. 

Recently Cole's base gold parallel popped up. I was a little late to this party as I probably could have got this card more in the $10-13 range towards the end of last season.  This one cost me around $18. Not a great deal by any means, but I suspect if Cole continues to have success that the amount spent will look okay by the end of this season. At least it is not $300 for the /10 base parallel or something of that sorts. 

As a fun exercise check out completed auctions for bowman chrome baseball.  Yikes! I saw a Trout sale for more than 15k. 


Thanks for reading!



16 comments:

  1. I'm jealous. Enjoy the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. The are definitely high energy. Don't think I could handle being close to the stage. No desire for mosh pits anymore.

      Delete
  2. Dropkick Murphys are pretty cool. I admit, though, that I prefer Flogging Molly. A little more Irish, and a little less Boston! :-)

    Enjoy the show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Trouts used to go for $15.00.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too jealous!! would love to see them, or Flogging Molly, or even Gaelic Storm would be cool!! (same Irish tones, but less heavy...)
    Enjoy!! let us know how it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a pretty big Flogging Molly fan. Even had one of their songs played at my wedding!

      Delete
  5. I went to a DKM show once, I had to leave before they played but I did get to see them do the sound check. Agnostic Front and Throw Rag opened for them. I liked both (even met Throw Rag, they were cool), but would have liked to seen Dropkick Murphys more. Hope its a fun show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a shame you couldn't see them. The opening acts were pretty good this time around too. One band was very similar to DKM while the other was more rockabilly.

      Delete
  6. Man what a great wife! I haven't kept up with DKM but have most of their early releases-great gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she must have felt bad because I surprised her with Billy Joel tickets. Concerts were a frequent thing for us before we had our daughter. Now that she is getting a little older we are starting to hit a few more.

      Delete
  7. Awesome! Enjoy Dropkick!!! They put on one heck of a show. Nice Cole too btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun show. I would see them again if I got the chance.

      Delete