The Legend

The Legend

Friday, June 16, 2017

Pride of Pierce

1951 Topps Red Back Andy Seminick

I consider myself to have a good memory when it comes to my cards and how I obtained them. 1990's and early 2000's consisted of K'mart boxes and cards shows/shops. Anything after has been eBay and blog trading. Every so often a card pops up that stumps me. Such was the case of this Andy Seminick card.

While I have no idea where I got this card it does have a fun connection to the area. Andy Seminick was born in West Virginia. He is from a small unincorporated town called Pierce which is tucked away in the mountains. 

As is tradition I ended up spending way too much time researching Seminick.  Here is a couple cool things of note.  

- He hit two homeruns in the same inning 
- Broke his ankle late in the season, but played on it until the Phillies lost to the Yankees in the World Series
- He was traded for Smokey Burgess twice. (Burgess was a former Pirate, so now this is officially a Pirate post)
- He was a long time coach in the minors. Some notable guys he coached were Mike Schmidt and Ferguson Jenkins. 

So whomever gave me this Seminick card thank you.  You are forever immortalized on a baseball card blog. 

Thanks for reading! 


10 comments:

  1. I have a better memory of cards I obtained growing up than I do know. Must be the effect of about 1,000 bubble mailers over the last 6 years of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have trouble with my pre blogging days because I went to a lot of shows in a five year span.

      Delete
  2. 1951 Topps are overlooked and underrated in my opinion. Not the re-hashed versions of the design from recent years, but the originals. Don't seem to see them get much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely unique. My vintage knowledge is lacking compared to my blogging counterparts so I really can't rank.

      Delete
  3. Great story-traded for twice? My be a record-the Topps Red and Blue Backs are special. I need to pick up a few more

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness COMC allows you to download your purchase history. I'm able to track half of my purchases that way. Plus I save a copy of all of my eBay purchases in my mailbox. Those 2 places make up 95% of my sports card pickups. The rest are from fellow bloggers, card shows, flea markets, etc... which I keep track of on my blog.

    But every now and then, I run into a similar situation where I have no idea where the card came from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blog does help with recent purchases. I don't always post everything, but anything big gets a post.

      Delete
  5. I started collecting in 2011 so I don't have this problem of "where did I get this?" but even if I did, I'd just chuck it out to another Yankees collector :P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard for me to track my 2001-2010 purchases. I was super active at this time opening boxes and hitting shows.

      Delete