The Legend

The Legend

Saturday, June 17, 2017

"The Whole World is Three Drinks Behind"

2002 Topps American Pie Suit Handkerchief Relic

Growing up I would watch a lot of old movies with my Mom. For the longest time I didn't think she had ever seen a movie that was made past 1965.  I remember watching cheesy movies like Bedtime for Bonzo starring Ronald Reagan and classics like the Maltese Falcon starring Humphrey Bogart.

I think those early experiences led me to this card. 

The Topps American Pie set was quite the unique set.  You could get a piece of the Berlin Wall, a swatch of George Burns coat or this awesome suit handkerchief of Bogey. I remember seeing a friend pull this card not long after this set came out and I knew I had to have it.  Hard to believe that was almost 15 years back. 

The actor relics don't pop up a ton on eBay as I think a lot of people tried to complete the set. Overall prices are not super expensive as this Bogart was odd wise the hardest to pull.  This card sold recently for around $30.  A couple other relic subsets featured the likes of Elvis and Marilyn Monroe and usually sell in the $75 to $100 range. 

I don't have a ton of non sports memorabilia, but this is one I'm really happy to own. 

Thanks for reading. 


8 comments:

  1. In the Game released a Canadiana set in I think 2011.. I would have liked to see an updated version for Canada's 150th, but no dice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Card companies have a knack of not giving us what we want...

      Delete
  2. The baseball quote of his is pretty good -

    "That's baseball, and it's my game. Y' know, you take your worries to the game, and you leave 'em there. You yell like crazy for your guys. It's good for your lungs, gives you a lift, and nobody calls the cops. Pretty girls, lots of 'em. And a hot dog at the game beats roast beef at the Ritz."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool card. Sounds like your mom and my mom could have hung out. Although I didn't watch a lot of those kinds of movies growing up, I know that my parents did before I was born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more of an appreciation now for those movies and will go back and watch a lot of them.

      Delete