The Legend

The Legend

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Kuhler Than the Other Side of the Pillow

2016 Bowman Chrome Chad Kuhl Auto

Today is the first day in a week that I've looked at cards.  My Grandmother passed away this past weekend.  While it is sad to lose a loved one, she had a very full/long life. The viewing and funeral was more of a celebration of a life lived than reflecting on the sad ending.  It was nice visiting with family I hadn't seen in years telling stories.  

Back to cards! Chad Kuhl wasn't much of a "prospect" coming out of college so he didn't receive the early Bowman treatment.  He had already made his debut by the time the above auto came out.  Like most players this card came out of the gate a little more hot, but has settled to the point where you can grab it for .99 plus shipping.  Such was the case with this one. 

I always like additions like this as Kuhl is projected to be in the Pirates rotation.  He has a big arm, but his command never really came around in 2017. He rarely would go past 5 innings. His ERA and FIP show about a league average pitcher, but the tax on the bullpen is rough over the course of the season

The Pirates seem to be trending towards the idea of putting a few multi inning guys in the bullpen to piggyback these short starts. Interesting to see how that plays out.  The Pirates may be cheap, but they haven't been shy about being the first to experiment with in game strategy. Its a well known fact that pitcher effectiveness drops drastically the third time through the order. If you have a roster that can limit that it may prove beneficial over the course of the season.  It takes a ton of depth so that will be the big test. 

Thanks for reading and thanks to Chad Kuhl for having a pun worthy name. 

13 comments:

  1. Sorry about your grandmother. That's never easy to go through.

    I've been a fan of Kuhl's since I was able to interview his (now) fiance on my blog just before last season. Been fun watching him from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, I'm very sorry to read about your grandmothers passing. My accept my condolences.

    I keep hoping, too, the Kuhl and Taillon and Glasnow can take big steps to be a strong core of three dependent starters. Maybe 2018 is the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sorry to hear bro. Prayers for your family in this difficult time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for your loss. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the loss of your grandmother. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. My condolences, but I'm glad your family had a good celebration of your grandmother's life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sorry for your loss buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My condolences for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure your grandmother is watching over you still, just from another place.

    I've got tons of Kuhl's non-auto Bowmans in several different colors if anyone wants to trade for his other parallels, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about your grandmother, but great that she enjoyed a long and fulfilling life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone. She had a nice run. Always sad, but a life worth celebrating.

    ReplyDelete