The Legend

The Legend

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A Couple of Birds

Over the past year I've opened a fair amount of Donruss. So much so I accumulated most of the set and a lot of the autographs. Combine that with a nice eBay win of 12 auto lot back in the summer I decided I'll make an attempt to complete the Donruss Signatures set. The checklist consisted of 50 autos, but only a few carry high secondary market value. If the set included the likes of Bryce Harper and Mike Trout I wouldn't have even thought about it.  Here is the list.

1 Billy Hamilton
2 Dave Parker
3 Wil Myers
4 Jason Kipnis
5 Mike Zunino
6 Manny Machado
7 Bucky Dent
8 Kris Medlen
9 Chris Sale
10 Dusty Baker
11 Oscar Gamble
12 Willie Horton
13 Brandon Barnes
14 Martin Prado
15 Brandon Maurer
16 Alex Wilson
17 Andrew Brown
18 Starling Marte
19 Chris Rusin
20 Jordan Zimmermann
21 Evan Gattis
22 Mitch Moreland
23 Josh Donaldson
24 Bruce Rondon
25 Asdrubal Cabrera
26 Troy Glaus
27 James Shields
28 Jeurys Familia
29 Wilmer Flores
30 Didi Gregorius
31 Reymond Fuentes
32 Ivan Nova
33 Kevin Gausman
34 Jay Bruce
35 Michael Choice
36 Daniel Nava
37 Nick Castellanos
38 Lance Lynn
39 Taijuan Walker
40 Xander Bogaerts
41 Kolten Wong
42 Jurickson Profar
43 Mike Napoli
44 Zack Wheeler
45 Vinnie Pestano
46 Michael Morse
47 Jay Buhner
48 Oscar Taveras
49 Adam LaRoche
50 Miguel Sano


























At the time of release the younger guys like Tavares, Bogaerts and Billy Hamilton carried most of the value. I actually pulled Tavares and Bogaerts and Billy Hamilton was a redemption so it was pretty easy to cherry pick that one off of eBay for a cheap price. Thankfully he fulfilled the obligation and I have that in hand. 

This past week I was able to knock what is probably the most expensive auto in the set and one of his teammates. 



Off the top of my head I'm only missing 6 of the autos. I'm waiting on a few auctions to end and some COMC sellers to get back to me. One that I know I haven't seen is the Adam Laroche. I'm not sure if they even made that one. I believe the only redemptions were Starling Marte and Billy Hamilton which I have and were filled very quickly.

Overall this has been a fun project that should be easy to put to bed as long as the cards come to market. I should have a better idea of what I'll need by late next week.

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never attempted an auto set before, so I find this especially impressive. Even if there's not a lot of huge names that's still quite an accomplishment. Good luck with the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dennis. Hopefully the phantom Adam Laroche shows up. I think I've seen all the others.

      Delete
  2. Good luck! I remember when I was working on the 2002-03 SP Authentic set, and how hard it was to track down some of the autographed rookies in the set. The feeling of accomplishment when it was completed was definitely something I remember fondly though. It took me 2 years to complete it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'll make this a regular practice, but so far it has been fun. Now the hunting really begins. I'm just thankful the guys that I have left are cheap.

      Delete
  3. Wow, nice Orioles and good luck with the rest of the set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It has actually been fairly easy. Trying to find the last handful will be the hard part. Hopefully some will start popping up.

      Delete