The Legend

The Legend

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Not a Pirate

UD Premier Ken Griffey Jr/Andruw Jones Dual Auto /25

Every so often I like to show off something in my collection that really doesn't have a place other than the fact it is cool card. Back in mid 2000's I had accumulated a good bit of high end cards because I was frequent opener of packs. I often reflect on this time as my carefree (read non married non kid) collecting time. Single. + real world job = card frenzy. It was fun while it lasted. Long story short I met a girl.

Finding myself in a very serious relationship I figured I needed to just focus on my Pirates and sold off most of my high $ cards to help pay for a nice ring and hook myself up with some high end Buccos and Mountaineers. Now I pretty much stick to my guns other than getting together with my buddies to bust a cheap box. Most of the cards I pull I spread among my blog friends.

With all that being said I'm not completely void of nice cards outside the realm of my collection. Sometimes I'll branch out and try to find autos of players that I once owned. Such is the case with the Griffey and Jones. If I recall this was a painkiller induced purchase when I was recovering from surgery. I'm sure if I went back and tabulated my total $'s spent during this time period it would probably make me throw up. Oh well....it made me feel better.

Thanks for reading!


6 comments:

  1. I am very jealous of that card, as Griffey was (is) my favorite player, and I've always really liked Andrew Jones, despite his chaotic last years in the majors. It's stickers (which mean's Griffey's auto can't fit) but hey, the card still looks great !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin. I always liked Andruw Jones too. He was well on his way to becoming a Hall of Famer then his career just fell off the cliff. Still one of the best defenders of all time. The was so smooth and could read the ball off the bat better than just about anybody during his playing days.

      Delete
  2. That is an awesome looking card, pain killers or not. A Griffey auto is right at the top of my non-Pirates want list. It's mind blowing how fast Jones' career fell off a cliff. I picked up out of a $2 box at the National this summer, which blew my mind a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find a few decent deals on Griffey if he is featured in the Reds uniform or put on a card with someone like Andruw Jones.

      Yeah, Jones career really went into the toilet. If he would have been productive for the Dodgers he would have probably made a nice case for the hall of fame.

      Delete
  3. Sweet card! I have also always wanted to own a Griffey Jr. autograph. He is one of the few clean ballplayers (That we know of) from the 90's and I respect him highly.

    I have one player that I collect that is not a Yankee and he's a Pirate. Roberto Clemente. My collection consists of a about 15 cards, but I do hope to add to it over the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't actively chase anybody that is not a Pirate. This was just an opportunity to get back an auto I let go during the great sell off. My two favorite non Pirates are probably Tulowitzki and Stanton, but no real desire to chase their cards.

      Delete