The Legend

The Legend

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Market Inefficiency

When you buy enough cards off of eBay you begin to notice trends. The obvious ones include Topps selling higher than Panini and on card autos more than stickers. A few weeks back I was doing some searches for Gerrit Cole and came across this....

2014 Donruss Gerrit Cole Box Topper Auto

I'm pretty much a sucker for anything Cole so I watched this auction for the 5 day period as it sat without a bid going to the last day. The starting bid was 9.99 which I'm sure detracted bidders, but I thought for sure it would go higher. Sure enough I was the only bidder. 

I started searching sold auctions for box toppers and overall it is a good way to find some deals on some big names. My guess the low prices have something to do with the combination of how to protect and display. Also, as a seller they are kind of a pain in the ass to protect and mail.

Either way I was happy to score an auto of one of my favorite Buccos for a good price.

4 comments:

  1. I really like that Panini Donruss design,and I love the fact that Diamond Kings have stood the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked everything minus the base set. I'm hoping that Panini decides to improve and make it their flagship product.

      Delete
  2. Nice pickup. And I agree that box toppers are a pain to protect. Finding a top loader that's the right size for each of them (they all come in varying sizes too) is harder than finding the holy grail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I've sent a few in the mail and it was a huge pain in the ass.

      Delete