The Legend

The Legend

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Specifically Pacific

Back when I was in high school my local Kmart would often mark down Pacific cards.  It was almost impossible to pull anything other than base cards, but I still loved buying these up for pennies on the dollar. I would see pictures of crazy inserts and high end autos and hope that I would be the lucky one opening a dream pack.

Well that day never came, but I still have fond memories of spending my hard earned high school money on cardboard. The funny thing is some of those early parallels and inserts stood the test of time on the secondary market.  A Derek Jeter Cramers Choice insert /25 recently sold for $125 and some of the short printed parallels of the base cards can go for big bucks as well.

2000 Pacific Al Martin Platinum Blue Parallel /75

I recently picked this Al Martin up for .99 and utilized the sellers combined shipping offer to add some trade bait as well. This continues my nice trend of finding some unique Pirate cards from this time period. It would be a fun project to add some more Pirates from the Pacific sets as their were 12 different releases back in 2000 alone! Can you name them all.....I had to go on eBay to remind myself what some of them looked like. Pacific Invincible was a very wild set.

Aurora
Crown Royale
Pacific
Pacific Crown Collection
Pacific Invincible
Pacific Omega
Pacific Prism
Pacific Vanguard
Paramount
Paramount Update
Private Stock
Revolution

Some nice challenges for player collectors in some of these sets. Several of the Pacific sets had low numbered hobby and retail exclusives.

Big series for the Pirates starting tonight. Hopefully the wizardry and black magic of the Cardinals will go away for a few days and allow the Buccos to take two of three.

Thanks for reading!




16 comments:

  1. Nice card. The thing I'm always reminded about when it comes to Pacific is how they had the die-cut insert game ON LOCK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They also got some huge names for their autograph sets like Bonds and the Big Unit.

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty sure I have at least one card from each of those sets, except for the Paramount Update. I don't think I knew it existed. Most of them would have come from various repacks over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see Crown Royale pop up every once in a while in those. Most I knew about, but I just couldn't remember what they looked like.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I liked it. If you are a fan of inserts it was the set for you.

      Delete
  4. I'm a huge Pacific fan. Easily some of the best inserts of the 90s...and all eternity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sets seem to be looked upon a lot more favorably now then back in their hey day. Those inserts were outstanding.

      Delete
  5. Twelve different sets from Pacific? Whoa.
    Part of me thinks I missed out on a lot of chaos during the early aught years. The shame of it all is I think I would have enjoyed cardboard chaos. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a very active collector back then and I still probably didn't realize their were twelve. If anything, you had choices back then.

      Delete
  6. I always liked the Paramount set, and the Pacific set was decent as well. I can't think of what the rest looked like aside from Crown Royale which I wasn't a big fan of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked them because many of the sets were affordable to me in high school. Plus they just seemed so different at the time.

      Delete
  7. When I first got back into collecting, all the Pacific sets were confusing to me. Now, after familiarizing myself with the Parallel-mania that is Topps these days, I really wish I'd been collecting cards in the late 1990s instead of bar tabs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pacific took every niche of the card market and ran with it. You like parallels, patches, die cuts, autos....you name it, they did it. If you get time just type in Pacific on eBay and search the higher priced completed auctions.

      Delete
  8. Pacific is the perfect example of cardboard addiction. I never liked their products in the 90's... yet I continued to buy packs and boxes. I remember their red "retail" parallels were always excellent trade bait on the AOL forums, because there were a lot of collectors who didn't have access to the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I mentioned to Tony above, it is neat to look at the recently sold Pacific cards. Some of those parallels are worth a good bit. Plus they were one of the first to have high end patch cards that still sell well.

      Delete