The Legend

The Legend

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Personally Vested



The other day I was watching a game in which Gregory Polanco got a huge hit and I found myself more pumped up than normal. It is one thing to actually be at the game and celebrating with the entire stadium, but I was sitting alone on my couch.  Their might have even been a fist pump and an audible "yes."



I'm a pretty reserved fan by nature. A loss doesn't ruin my day nor does a win give me some weird confidence boost. My reaction left me wondering why the hell I was getting so excited for a regular season win. I watch a ton of baseball so I've already witnessed a lot of late game heroics, so what made this moment stand apart. 

My best guess is that my card collecting and overall fandom have become intertwined. I don't collect cards as an investment, but I think mass purchasing of a certain players lends itself to some kind of bond. My brain knows that I've spent a lot of time and money accumulating cards of certain players so maybe their is a certain sense of accomplishment and justification knowing that player is doing well. 

For those who follow my blog on a semi regular basis know that I went all in purchasing Polanco autos when prices bottomed out after his debut. As a team collector this is always the difficult choice. Do you bite the bullet early and risk the player being a bust, or do wait to purchase and price yourself out when the player turns into a star.  For every Andrew McCutchen their is a Brian Bixler, Brad Eldred and Chad Hermanson.

With Polanco I decided to go all in. I'm not a prospector, but I found the skill set interesting. His minor league obp and success versus left handed pitching made you think he was less likely to bust than most.

So I guess that is why when Polanco does well, I get pumped. The verdict is still out on what type of player he will be. I'm just happy that he seems to be finding his way at the major league level. If he continues to develop to something even more I would be downright ecstatic. I might even double fist pump....

All the cards shown have been featured at some point on Bob Walk the Plank. Several were included via blog trade from the likes of Brad's Blog, The Card Papoy and Jaybarkerfan.





















Thanks for reading! 


14 comments:

  1. That's a pretty sweet PC you've got going there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gavin! He is a guy that I'm always looking for deals on.

      Delete
  2. Nice Polanc. I should give you credit for continuing to collecting AFTER he's made it to the big leagues and companies overproduce his cards.
    I'm still pondering what to do if/when Torrens reaches that level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His struggles a few months after his debut is the only reason I kept going. Prices are starting to jump again, but still manageable.

      Delete
  3. The love for the team and the players -- it's why we collect, right? Great collection, and I bet it was a ton of fun to "buy low" when he was struggling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is one of the few Pirates to have the extreme highs and lows. Guys like Cutch, Marte and Cole have been steady gradual increases.

      Delete
  4. Best Polanco since Placido! And as always, nice collection! "El Coffee" works for a nickname, but I'd just as soon go with Gregory "Normal-Sized Head" Polanco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should just call him "normal head." Placido was pretty damn good for a handful of years, but I hope Polanco can overtake him as the better Polanco.

      Delete
  5. Damn you did go crazy. I think he will be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet collection! Rivals my Ryan Howards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polanco is trying to crack my top five in overall volume. Going to be a while before he catches up to Bay and McCutchen.

      Delete