The Legend

The Legend

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

You Probably Hate These Guys

I've always found umpires fascinating. It is just one of those jobs where you ask "why in the hell would you subject yourself to that." If you do reach the majors the pay is a solid six figures (120k to 300k depending on experience), but the chances you even make it are slim to none. The guys that do make it tend to stay forever even if the skills are deteriorating. The umpires union is strong.

I went on mlb.com to see what requirements they had in order to become an umpire.  It is not a walk in the park. First you have to graduate near the top of your class from an milb/mlb accredited umpiring school. These top umpiring recruits are then sent to an advanced training course where instructors will recommend which trainees should be considered for work in the lowest levels of the minor leagues. After each year the milb umpire developing crew evaluates all the umpires and recommends which ones should advance to a higher minor league level.  This is the case all the way up to AAA.  From this point on you just wait to get the possible call from MLB about promotion. From what I read, the point from graduation to AAA usually takes about 6-8 years. It makes sense that these guys don't want to retire when the reach the pinnacle of their profession.

With such a small group of umpires in the majors (around 68) these guys become pretty noticeable personalities if you watch enough baseball.  Most baseball fans know the likes of Cowboy Joe West and Balking Bob Davidson. I know when I'm watching a game and I see an umpire like Cowboy Joe I just think to myself this guy sucks and he is going to screw one of the teams over. Whether this is fair or not, the umpires persona impacts a game.

Being the curious soul that I am I went and looked at some rankings from players and some unofficial umpire measurements and they were similar for the most part. Players tend to like umpires that don't draw attention to themselves like Jim Joyce and Phil Cuzzi and despise guys like Joe West and Angel Hernandez. Even in the year when Jim Joyce blew the Armando Galarraga perfect game he was still voted the players favorite umpire.

Overall I'm kind on the fence about umpires these days. I can accept mistakes and instant replay has helped alleviate the more egregious errors. The thing that pisses me off the most is when the umpires make emotional decisions. The best case of this is when Bryce Harper was kicked out of the game this year when Matt Williams was arguing balls and strikes.


Short fused umpires are the worst.

I know some people think that the strike zone might be taken away from umpires down the road, but I just don't see it happening as the umpire union would fight to the death. It would be nice to see the strike zone become more consistent. I know I'm tired seeing left handed hitters get screwed consistently with outside pitches. I know umpires are graded/reviewed, but I don't know what ever comes of these reviews.

 2004 Bowman Heritage Jerry Crawford Auto
2015 Cooperstown Doug Harvey Auto

The reason for this umpire post was that I was able to acquire these two beauties a couple days apart earlier this month. Officiating must run in the Crawford blood because his brother Joe is an NBA official and his father was longtime major league umpire Shag Crawford.

The Harvey is from the new Cooperstown set that came out a couple months back.

What are your thoughts on umpires?

Thanks for reading!




12 comments:

  1. Jerry Meals (drops mic and walks away)

    That should pretty much let you know how my umpire feelings are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Meals play was terrible, but at least replay has eliminated to blatant missed calls. He still gets booed in Pittsburgh.

      Delete
  2. Umpires to me are someone whose jobs should be eliminated by technology. Not that I have any ill-will or malice toward any of them, but with the technology available already today we could easily replace every single one of them with a guy watching from upstairs.

    Not that that will happen, mind you, but it could be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robot umps! I'm guessing someone will always have to be on the field to control pace of play and keep the teams from killing each other, but I could see where virtually every call is taken away from them.

      Delete
  3. Baseball Is a microcosm of our country In virtually every way.I always compared the umps to police ,enforcing the rules and keeping the players in line,literally. I always tell people that In most instances ,It doesn't matter who the better team is.A loss or win will almost always be determined by the umps,refs .I've come to accept them as part of the game,but yeah ,they can screw up a call or two,or 12.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hear all kinds of stories back in the old days of umpires expanding the strike zones on guys they don't like. At least now their is a million cameras and instant replay to help keep things in check. The strike zone is still a mess, but at least it is getting better.

      Delete
  4. I read an article once that umpires tend to make calls that go more in favor of the pitcher if that pitcher is the same race as the umpire. Although it's hard to quantify exactly how the pitchers benefit from this.

    Either way, robot umpires. Forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, I haven't heard that one.

      Robot umps by 2020!

      Delete
  5. The Crawfords are interesting. Shag Crawford umped from '56-75, then his son Jerry from '76-2010. Not only that, but Joey Crawford is a prominent NBA ref. I guess officiating is the family biz!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post. I like umpires/referees/officials in all sporting events... because they add character to the games. However... I'm in your camp when it comes to umpires who make emotional decisions. Everyone makes mistakes... but these guys should have a strike system themselves. Screw up once... strike one. Again... strike two. Third time... they get sent down to the minors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard what happens if they continually screw up. I know Bob Davidson got suspended a couple of games last year but it was for an argument he had with a player.

      Delete