The Legend

The Legend

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Non Tendered

I'll be at the Pirates/Dodgers game this afternoon. This is actually a belated Christmas present from my Mother in Law. Every year she lets me pick one game and also books a hotel for the night. Also, this is the one game a year where my wife goes with me, so said game has to have fireworks or a concert. This year it is a concert, as O.A.R is performing after the game. I've seen O.A.R several times over the years and they put on a pretty good show so it should be fun.



2015 Topps Series 1 Pedro Alvarez Silver Frame /20

I'm getting close to having all the silver framed Pirates I set out to acquire. While I would love to have a McCutchen or even a Neil Walker, the prices have been extremely high (Cutch was $70 and the Walker was $35). My mission from the get go was to focus on newer Pirates and guys that don't get a lot of relic or auto love.

Pedro was never high on the list to go after, but this one fell into my lap at a good price at ~$10. Usually the only guys that fall cheaper are bench/AAAA type of players. I think Cory Hart cost me less than $5.

Pedro is all but certain to be non tendered at the end of the season. He has essentially made himself a player that can only be rostered by an AL team. It will be a sad end to what was once a very promising career. The silver lining is that the Pirates probably saved themselves millions by not extending Pedro after his breakout 2013.






16 comments:

  1. OAR and baseball? I'd sign up for that! My favorite OAR song had to be Shattered (Turn the Car Around). Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They played that one. My favorite has always been City on Down.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a cool night - Crazy Game of Poker is obviously the classic, but I like me some but I always loved Missing Pieces a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Closed with Crazy Game of Poker. They didn't play Missing Pieces. I like that song too.

      Delete
  3. I Feel Home is my favorite OAR song, enjoy the concert and game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have played that song just about every time I've seen them for a regular concert. I like it as well.

      Delete
  4. I don't have much love for Topps these days but these Silver cards (along with the Clear ones) are pretty cool. I looked up his BB-R Similarity Scores because he reminds me a little bit of Tony Clark, but Clark isn't one of his comps. Anyway, nice price on that one, even if he's almost surely a soon-to-be former Pirate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been buying a ton of the silver frames and acetates. They are the first parallels that actually seem different.

      Without looking I always mention someone like Mark Reynolds for Pedro's comp. The only thing is that Pedro is one of the worst defenders in baseball. When I did a write up a few weeks back only Hanley Ramirez was rated lower.

      Delete
  5. I think OAR is on a stadium tour...as the post-game entertainment. I swear that OAR has played in Atlanta and in Milwaukee in the past year or so.

    Personally, I think they should bring W.A.S.P. back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WASP stadium tour!

      OAR sounded the best I've ever heard them. It was a great show.

      Delete
  6. I've seen them several times as well. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed OAR when they played outside of Wrigley. Enjoy the game and concert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were great. The Pirates have booked them a lot over the years. They even played the All Star game back in 2006.

      Delete