The Legend

The Legend

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Window Shopping

One of the perks, albeit sometimes an expensive perk, is the ability to read other blogs to discover unique cards. I usually do a pretty good job reviewing checklists of newly released sets, but I still tend to miss quite a bit. So when something catches my eye on the blogs I usually jot myself a note to checkout the set in more detail.

Such was the case last year when Julie from A Cracked Bat opened a box of 2014 Panini Classics. The set peaked my interest early because it had one of the better checklists of the year featuring many pre-war players. When she was showing off the contents of the box she pulled one of the more unique Pirate cards I've seen the last couple of years and I knew I had to have it.

It was such a unique card that Julie planned on holding onto her copy so I went on the hunt.  A couple weeks back I finally tracked it down.

2014 Panini Classics Greenberg/Kiner/Herman Triple Bat Relic /99

What makes this card so unique from the Pirates perspective is that both Greenberg and Herman only played the 1947 season for the Buccos. Ralph Kiner said on numerous occasions that his success as a power hitter was due to Greenberg taking him under his wing during that season. All 3 would eventually make the Hall of Fame. This may be the most unique combination of players featured on a relic card that I have in my collection. 

It was fitting to show off a Kiner card as his birthday was yesterday. 

Thanks for reading! 




14 comments:

  1. Oh man, that's a great card. Even though I have doubts about the legitimacy of relics, that still looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it is still a cool combination of players even if the bats are shavings from a tree outside of Panini USA headquarters.

      Delete
  2. Great card and a fun checklist. I bought a couple packs last year and was rewarded with a similar card, but mine was Cubs-centric!
    http://tilnextyear-tom.blogspot.com/2014/11/2014-panini-classics-hit-and-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. A shucks - and I was gonna include that card in the next package for you. ;) NOT! It's truly one of my favorite pulls. Glad you found a nice copy for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to be patient as the early ones were selling in the the 30-40 range. Thanks for making me spend money :)

      Delete
  4. Panini Classics was an awesome set. It's a shame they seem to have dropped it after just one year. I opened one box and pulled the hit of my life, a Griffey Jr auto/triple relic (batting glove, bat, patch) #/5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa!!! Awesome pull. Last years version is on major discount right now.

      Delete
  5. Awesome card! I had no idea Greenberg was with Pittsburgh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He actually had a decent year, but called it quits. I wouldn't have known much about his tenure had it not been for Kiner talking about him.

      Delete
  6. Yes, reading the blogs always provides great window shopping - I can't say for certain how many times, but I have gone after several cards just based on seeing a post. That's how I decided to go for the 65 o-pee-chee set, gcrl had a whole blog on opc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually see some cool insert set and immediately look to see if their are any Pirates in the set.

      Delete