The Legend

The Legend

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Donruss Blaster X 2

A few weeks back I took a day off to get some things done around the house. While procrastinating to do those things I went to Target and purchased baseball cards.  It is as close to Ferris Bueller as I can get these days. I even took myself out to lunch.  It's a crazy life I tell you!

I decided on Donruss because I like to imagine people rolling their eyes when they read my blog. Also, my Target was picked through.  I was kind of hoping to find discounted blasters that I see people post all the time, but it only seems to be Nascar and NBA my way.  Oh well....here are the cards of note.

 Out of two blasters I got two Diamond Kings.

 I think these are a Target exclusive.
 I like Jake Arrieta. For some reason the Orioles have trouble recognizing pitching talent. I'm sure Orioles fans wish they could have that one back.

David Oritz is going to be a Hall of Famer. I don't really have a problem with that, but if he does go they need to get Edgar Martinez in. Free Edgar!
 Poor twins....I'll eventually send this to Brian.
 I have a feeling Schwarber will never catch again.
 Another parallel...this time a stat line version.

The blaster each promise a relic or auto.  I thought I did pretty well.




Can't go wrong pulling a Moncada.  This will probably head to Mr. Hoyle at some point. 



I pulled an auto! Dilson Herrera is a former Pirate prospect. He was traded to the Mets for Marlon Byrd during the 2013 playoff push.  In the short term it was a great move by the Buccos as Byrd played a huge getting the Pirates into the wild card game and even hit a homerun during the game itself.

Herrera blossomed in the Mets system and is extremely close to being mlb ready.  Funny thing is he got blocked again by a Pirate when the Mets got Neil Walker in a trade.

Overall it was a pretty good break. Worthy enough to troll everyone again with another if the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks for reading!

20 comments:

  1. I really like Donruss this year, nice pulls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing too big, but I thought it was pretty solid across the board.

      Delete
  2. The Red bordered wannabe-82/83 parallel is much better than all that horrendous white space that inhabits the normal version.

    I still think Panini needs to be truer to the old designs, if that is their goal with the Donruss brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like the Diamond Kings set much better than Donruss. With that being said I still think I like Donruss more than 90% of the blogosphere.

      Delete
    2. My biggest problem isn't design -- it's how Panini mangles the colors of the players' uniform. It makes the player basically unrecognizable.

      Delete
    3. It is weird. I'll see a few sets and be like "hey that looks pretty good" then you will have something line Pinnacle that makes the players all look like they have pajamas on.

      Delete
  3. I think you did pretty well on your hits! Not bad at all on the low-numbered cards either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the hits were the best part. Two good young players.

      Delete
  4. Nice Moncada!I hear that kid's a beast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donruss does a nice job of making their breaks fun.

    Oh, the Twins... Pour one out for this season, practically over before it started...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope Buxton can get on track. He has a lot of pressure since he has pretty much been a top three prospect the last two years.

      Delete
    2. Pretty obvious to me that he was not ready for MLB pitching yet. Not his fault the Twins traded Hicks away and ran out of options in CF (again).

      Delete
    3. Buxton will probably be a very good player. His defense and speed alone will make him an average player. He just needs more time in AAA. The injury might be a silver lining in that he can have a long rehab assignment.

      Delete
  6. Wow very nice Moncada. I'll gave to put something together for that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy to pull Red Sox since I know it will have a good home.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on pulling the pair of hits. As for Panini's take on Donruss... well let's just say you called it and I'm... ◔_◔ (rolling my eyes).

    ReplyDelete