The Legend

The Legend

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

The Worst Part of Stadium Club

2014 Topps Stadium Club Starling Marte Gold Auto /25
Everyone loves Stadium Club and rightfully so. Once the price came down on the box price it was one of the more fun breaks in the last few years. It was refreshing to have a set where you actually want to look at and collect the base set.

My only complaint was with the auto distribution.  Between the boxes I opened myself and ones I witnessed it was some of the worst collation I have ever seen.  I swear I saw a thousand Dean Anna autos pulled. It was crazy. Of the boxes I opened, Mookie Betts was the only notable player I pulled. I opened a lot.

To eBay I went....  I already had the base Marte in my possession. For whatever reason it sells super cheap. I expected to pay a decent amount for the gold version, but like the base it sold for less than $10! Not to shabby for an on card auto.

Now I will say the gold parallels don't look that much different than the base. Maybe that hurts value. The only difference is the nameplate is in gold. Maybe I like late 90's parallels too much and expect crazy holograms, lines and so forth.  Either way it is a nice auto of Marte for cheap. End of story.

Thanks for reading.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. On card autos on the cheap are always a plus.

      Delete
    2. Crazy his stuff is still so cheap.

      Delete
    3. You know its weird. I really think there must be a handful of guys that go after his stuff hard. Once they have it the market cools and prices come down a good bit. He will have some high end auto sell for $50 and the next one I see will go for $20.

      Delete
  2. That's one of the reasons I just don't buy boxes anymore. But I'm glad you were able to nab both Marte versions without breaking the bank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't open near as much as I did back in the mid 2000's. Now I open a box once every 3 months or so.

      Delete
  3. I'd assume that at this point people trying to make money off of Stadium Club gave up and consider it a sunk cost. That autograph checklist is akin to Heritage Minors, people looking to make money off of the autographs/hits can laugh all the way to the dumpster. Cool card though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fools game to try and make money off cards. I remember reading an article from a case breaker on Cardboard Connection and it painted a much more realistic picture of the process. Some cases he may only make $20 and that doesn't factor in time. He opens tons of cases so he has to rely on getting the mega hits and having a pipeline of customers who buy team sets.

      Delete
  4. I'm surprised at how cheat Stadium Club autographs sell for. After building the 2014 set from busting boxes... I decided to just go out and buy the 2015 set for a fraction of the cost and pick up the autographs I wanted. I know I lost the joy of busting the packs and pulling the inserts... but at the end of the day, I still can sit down and flip through all of the amazing base set photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super cheap. A /25 Marte auto is 3 times more in other sets. Doesn't make a ton of sense, but I'll take it!

      Delete