The Legend

The Legend

Friday, April 8, 2016

Consistent Penmanship

Every so often I compile some of my favorite players autographs and examine how their signature changes over the years. Here is a link to Neil Walker and Andrew McCutchen.  For Walker and Cutch both signatures got shorter as they got more established as professionals.  That is to be expected since demand goes way up.  Walker's change was a little more subtle while Cutch was more on the extreme end.

This time around I thought it would be cool to look at an older player.  Let's take a look at the Mad Dog, Bill Madlock.











Most of these autos are from the mid 2000's.  I would say he was very consistent.  Here is a much more recent auto.

A little more sloppy for the latest auto I have from Madlock in 2013.  This could be more of a product of signing tons of stickers at once or just writing getting sloppier as someone gets older.  My guess is signing a bunch of stickers at once.

Overall his signature remains consistent and above average for many of his peers.

Thanks for reading.

10 comments:

  1. Love Mad Dog! Nice auto collection. Yeah, he seems to be more or less consistent with his signature. He signed for me in person circa '92 and it matches up pretty closely with these. But sure, you gotta expect it to degrade a bit as the guy becomes a senior citizen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a while the Mad Dog was getting tons of auto love from sets. Since he falls more in that second tier of retired players I could really load up since the prices were right.

      Delete
  2. Its called arthritis haha jk. Still some nice looking cards there despite his autograph dropping off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. A lot of high end sets had Mad Dog in them in the mid 2000's. Gave me lots to chase.

      Delete
  3. If only the cheapskate Phil Wrigley would have let him jot that signature down on a contract in 1977, instead of trading him away for peanuts. *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a huge fan of Mad Dog... I'm super jealous of this collection and pretty impressed that his signature remained consistent for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go pick up some Mad Dog autos. They are super affordable. I have 1/1's for less than $20!

      Delete
  5. Nice bunch of autographs of a Pirates great! Those UD multiplayer autos you have are ridiculous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went super crazy with those multiplayer autos. There are several that feature just Pirates. At the time the Pirates were terrible and were not getting high end releases like that. My head exploded when I first learned of those.

      Delete