The Legend

The Legend

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Damn You Mike Trout and Your 25% Off Coupon

Topps Now has been a bit of a roller coaster ride in terms of interest for me. I was intrigued by the concept when it first started and purchased the first handful of Pirates released. Soon after I became bored as I was upset that the many of the photos being used were just run of the mill. To me that seems to defeat the purpose of capturing unique game moments.

A little before the All Star break I got rejuvenated when the Pirates started calling up some high end prospects and the corresponding photos were much more unique.  About this time I discovered that I could save a few bucks by purchasing cards from eBay instead of Topps.  Back to feeling good again!

While I think I'm in the minority within our community, for the most part I ended up liking Topps Now. The Buccos were middle of the road in terms of cards released so the financial commitment was minimal. It was also cool that the Pirates received card #1 in the set (Francisco Liriano).  I missed out getting the card at release, but got one via eBay before the price really took off.

Going into this season I really hadn't thought about if I'm going to partake in year 2. In my head it seemed like just a good idea to just start cherry picking rookies and unique photos. Of course Topps knows many people are on the fence like me and sent these out last week.



Topps is producing a Spring Training set for every team with a "sticker price" of 49.99.  If you purchased a Topps Now card last year directly from Topps you should have received this fancy Mike Trout coupon that gives you 25% off.  Knowing myself I'll likely cave and purchase the set.

Is the set overpriced? I think most reasonable people would say yes.  You could make the argument that the best deal for some teams is to buy the autograph edition for $99.99  where you get the team set plus an auto. I've seen a few of the signers have been announced and the checklist looks pretty good. In terms of Buccos the signers are Marte, Taillon and Glasnow. It would be tempting had the checklist included Cutch or Austin Meadows.

Is anyone else going to buy one of these sets? Am I the only sucker.  Feel free to make fun of me below.

Thanks for reading.






37 comments:

  1. I am on the fence for the Giants set as well. I saw the price and said no then got my Trout card and am reconsidering. The auto option is intriguing. The Giants 3 announced are Posey (which would be great), Panik (so so) and Blach (probably the most plentiful. If I take the plunge I am guessing it will be the non-auto set with the 25% off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm leaning in the same direction as you. I'm guessing you would be able to find the Joe Panik and Blach for much cheaper on the secondary market.

      Delete
  2. Too expensive, though I wish I got card number 1. Liriano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really curious to see how many people go for these. From reading these comments it seems the coupon was enough to push many over the edge. I agree that they are expensive, but most of us are addicts!

      Delete
  3. I likely won't get the Yankees set, but I am a weak individual and may cave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm waiting until I lose my will to resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be hard when it gets to the last day. The big question will be how some of them will cost on the secondary market.

      Delete
  5. Me too for the O's...I know I shouldn't...but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I told Lost Collector above I just wonder if a bigger discount will show up on eBay.

      Delete
  6. i liked topps now last year, and bought all of the dodgers except for the relic and auto parallels. i wasn't going to bother this year unless there was some extraordinary event, but the coupon has made me reconsider. the dodger signers are seager, maeda, and toles, so i am not sure about the auto version. i'll probably wait to see more of the card images before i decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are a Yankees or Red Sox collector it is a very costly investment. Did the Dodgers have a lot last year?

      Delete
  7. I will probably order an Astros set. I don't think I'll go for the autograph set, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Astros auto portion is looking good though!!!!! :) Pressure!!!!!!

      Delete
  8. I'm a definite buy on the Mariners set. From what I have seen so far of other teams, the cards are all looking sharp. Plus, the bonus card incentive if certain your team accomplishes certain events is a neat idea. If there was a Mariners auto set, I likely would buy it. Sadly, there is not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are still announcing the signers for the autographs as I thought everyone was getting an auto version.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Ha. I figured that was your stance. It is definitely reasonable as it is hard to find the actual value in the purchase.

      Delete
  10. I like the 25% off and am still on the fence. If I do commit it will be for the autograph version, but the Cubs is at $120 for a chance at either Bryant, Baez, Heyward of Wade Davis. I actually need autos of the last two and they would probably be the cheaper of the four on the secondary market... which is I haven't jumped on board yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Topps Now is a tough commitment for Cubs, Red Sox and Yankee collectors. Everything will be at a premium price. Judging from the secondary market it looks like you might be best just to buy the regular set and cherry pick Baez on eBay. With that being said if you did receive the Bryant you could sell it and get the rest of the set and have money left over.

      Delete
  11. Not gonna do it. Not now - wouldn't be prudent at this juncture. Plus, I don't really collect playing players, so it would have to be a really meaningful moment from a game I attended. And not something commonplace and over-done, like a "walk-off".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. If you are a player collector sets like this are easy to avoid. Someone will piece these out on eBay and you can find what you need for the fraction of the cost.

      Delete
  12. I got wrapped up last year and ended up with every Red Sox card plus the post-season team set, but I got bored with it over time and by the end was buying them mostly because I'd "come that far". I'm not doing that in 2017 but if they made one for a game I attended I'd make an exception...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got bored early than got rejuvenated with rookies and better photos. One thing that would be cool is that they did something to cater to team collectors instead of set collectors. All the discounts given by Topps were for bulk purchases or someone who was buying all the cards in that given day.

      Delete
  13. I didn't bother once I figured out that the shipping would be close to $50 for me..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. And that's American Dollars.. Factor in exchange and... Yeah...

      Delete
    2. You are better off just letting one of us buy it and ship it to you.

      Delete
  14. No way. $50 for a 15 card set? Topps is insane. For $50 I can grab a Clayton Kershaw for my collection. And even if I had a 25% coupon... for $37.50 I could buy a new Rickey Henderson autograph for my PC. Plus it doesn't help that both of my teams suck and lack any star power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is in the world of bizarro Topps Now the Padres and A's will probably be the most valuable sets because no one will buy them.

      I agree that for $37 you could pretty much buy an auto of just about any active major leaguer not named Trout and Harper.

      Delete
  15. At first I was a definite no. Now I'm on the fence. Just maybe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know myself which means it is likely happening. Then that will open the can of worms for the rest of the year. At least you not get 50 David Ortiz's this year.....

      Delete
  16. I'm thinking/hoping that someone buys the Pirates and I can get the Cutch as a single when it hits eBay. I don't have much need for a Jared Hughes, Chris Snyder, or some other random bench guy's spring training card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like everything else I'm sure some will be pieced out. I'm shocked that Jared Hughes is still employed by the way....

      Delete
  17. I'm thinking about doing it for the Brewers. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a fun set for sure. The Brewers have so much young talent now.

      Delete
  18. I got this card in the other day. I'm probably not buying any sets. If I had that money I'd use it for other collecting needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Luis Torrens will get a NOW card this year....

      Delete