The Legend

The Legend

Saturday, February 4, 2017

Topps Blaster

I came close to ordering a hobby box of 2017 Topps, but decided to save a little money by choosing a blaster. This retail box already puts 2017 ahead of 2016 in terms of Topps packs opened. For many people the 2016 design turned them off, but for me it was all based on checklist. I was a little more motivated this year as Josh Bell, Jameson Taillon and Tyler Glasnow are all featured prominently.

Off we go...


Manu relics just don't do a whole lot for me. I can only think of a few that I actually thought looked nice. I guess these 70th anniversary Jackie Robinson's look ok, but Aaron Nola is probably not the one you want to pull. 


 My gold /2017 is former Pirate J.A Happ.

 Now this is fun! This looks like something I would have pulled in a late 90's Pacific or Skybox pack.
 Aaron Nola hot box! I was happy with the Ichiro pull. Looking forward to chasing some of the 87 Pirates.
 I like the First Pitch cards.  Hoping that they will actually make one of these for the Pirates at some point.  The Pirates don't have many "famous" fans so that likely hurts the chances.  Maybe they can bring in Michael Keaton who attends games a decent amount.

 Shiny Norris.
 Yeah, I'm not so sure about these. A card being used to celebrate another card......isn't that the purpose of a buyback.  Just use the original card and stamp it.

Nice to see Polanco getting a cool card. The rest of the Pirate set was a little boring. Happy to get the Bell rookie.

I'm not super picky with my cards. I can find more I like about 2017 flagship than dislike. The "Then & Now" cards was really the only ones I could do without. That will likely be my only blaster this year so I'll look to trade for the rest of the Buccos.  At some point I hope to get the 87 Josh Bell auto on eBay.

Thanks for reading!

12 comments:

  1. I have similar thoughts overall. Glad you got a few Pirates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certain things annoy me like blurry backgrounds but like I said above checklist dominates everything.

      Delete
  2. I just bought a box (36 packs) and got a TON of Pirates - shoot me an email if you want me to send some your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with the then and now cards...feel like there is too much graphically going on with the card. good to get guys from your favorite team though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every set has highs and lows. Even sets I consider top notch have flaws. It is hard to find the perfect combination of nice base set, fun inserts, great price point and enough high end stuff to keep people happy.

      Delete
  4. If you don't want those 87s....I'm putting that set together...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you want/need Miguel Cabrera? email me @ peterksteinberg @ hotmail dot com if you do!

      Delete
  5. I got some Bucco's if you'd like them, M-dawg: Freese, Bell, Cervelli, and Ivan Nova.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the Then And Now cards were done similar to the ones in 1993 Pinnacle, or like the SuperVet cards in 1983 Topps I'd be happy with them, but from what I've seen, it's just another boring insert.

    Now.. That Shatner First Pitch card puts me in an area where I need to make a judgement call..

    I collect Canadian Born Players and the Jays/Expos.. Do I extend the Canadian born to those in the First Pitch set when they're actors like Shatner? Or do I leave it alone because actor in a Red Sox uniform..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hold you the Shatner card if you want in! Just let me know.

      Delete