The Legend

The Legend

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Fusion

Do you remember Topps Fusion? It was one of those sets that will leave you scratching your head.  Basically the whole idea is that the set "fused" five Topps brands into one. You could get a card in the mold of Bowman's Best, Finest, etc.  Hard to believe it only lasted one year.....

As most of you know I'm a sucker for these obscure sets. Many were ahead of their time and are starting to see a nice rebound on the secondary market. Others like Fusion have long disappeared without anyone caring. 

With that being said even the worst of sets are not without their bright spots. 

2001 Topps Fusion Willie Stargell Bat Relic

Seems odd that a card from 2001 is 16 years old. The design gives this card a cool 70's retro vibe. With all the lines I feel like if you stare enough you will see a hidden Pirate ship or something. Kind of trippy. 

This card was made when relics were still a new and exciting.  The relics were actually more difficult to pull than the autographs. How times have changed. Unless the relic is a super premium patch many collectors have no use for them. Thankfully that leaves deals for people like me. If I recall this card set me back around $7 which is a nice deal for a 2001 Pops. 

Thanks for reading! 



10 comments:

  1. I vaguely remember this. Man, I miss those days. Not kidding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was looking through some images I still barely remembered. I guess it was that bad.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I opened any Topps Fusion, but I have a few base cards somewhere. Your Pops card is really cool. Like how the colors POP off of the card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Fusion Cards but never sure if I should file them in my Topps or Bowman boxes-sweet relic card of one of my favs'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just an odd set. Nice cards exist, but just odd.

      Delete
  4. Fusion is the most confusing set ever made to someone who wasn't collecting in the early 2000s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was collecting at that point and I'm not sure why the set was created....

      Delete
  5. I don't think I've seen any other Fusion. I agree about the 70's vibe. Appropriate. Can't go wrong with a nice Stargell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I had to look at a bunch of Google Images to jog my memory. It just wasn't that memorable.

      Delete