The Legend

The Legend

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Fancy Names


1998 Jason Kendall Fleer Ultra Platinum Medallion /100

Jason Kendall is a cardboard God. I guess his hard nosed style was easy to capture.  Whatever the case he is one of the more enjoyable players to find rare parallels of during my favorite time period. Case in point this Platinum Medallion from Ultra.

I was excited to see one of these pop up for regular auction on eBay.  Quite a few are listed but have high BIN prices. The card itself has a textured feel and the nameplate area really pops.  I think I actually like the base card a little better, but this version is so unique that I had to have it. 

The price range for these tend to be in the $5-$10 range for non stars and can reach well over $100 for the mega stars. This is where it helps to collect Pirates. Kendall and Brian Giles were just about the only ones worth chasing. 

Thanks for reading! 

14 comments:

  1. You aren't kidding those are hard to track down, and next to impossible to find at reasonable prices. That's a fantastic photo and the parallel design makes for a beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just thankful that I'm not some type of Jeter or Griffey super collector because of cards like this.

      Delete
  2. 15000 Redbird Cards and not one of these=beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you can find one for your collection. Time to find Ray Lankford or something like that....

      Delete
  3. Love Platinum Medallions! Those aren't easy to track down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me 19 years to track down my first example from the NBA version of this parallel, then I was able to add two last year, one from eBay and one from COMC. I would have liked them better if they were not black and white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan of black and white. It's the 90's baby I want wavy lines, wild colors and diecut!

      Delete
  5. gotta love a great deal! the Kendall is super! I collect him in catcher gear, and plays at the plate are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kendall is a good one to collect if you like catchers. So many great poses.

      Delete
  6. Mr. Pirate of the late 90s, early 2000s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! Pretty much only him and Giles until Jack Wilson came around.

      Delete
  7. Platinum Medallions were insanely tough pulls back in the day. Congratulations on adding this very rare card to your collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fuji! I was happy to find one. A couple more Pirates are in the set, but I won't be as hardcore about it as I was with the Kendall.

      Delete