The Legend

The Legend

Sunday, May 17, 2015

COBRA

I made reference in my post yesterday that the Notable Nicknames set has 3 Pirates in it and that I only needed the Cole.  I've actually had the Parker for a significant amount of time but wanted to wait and show off until I either got the Polanco or Cole.

It looks like the Cole is going to be more of a challenge than initially thought. I haven't seen one go below $40 and average price seems to be around $50-55.  That is a little out of my comfort zone for Cole.

Here is the Parker.




2014 Notable Nickname Dave Parker /99

The Parker is the cheapest of the three Pirates in this set, but it was my most desired one. Parker has a handful of cards that feature his nickname, but in my opinion this is the nicest version. On card and in bright blue ink, the card does a good job of making the nickname the main attraction.

One of the nice things about collecting Pirates from the late 70's is that all the guys are affordable and still very active signers.

Now I need to get that Cole....

COBRA!!!

10 comments:

  1. Sweet Cobra! Although when it came to GI Joe... I was more of a Storm Shadow kind of guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Cobra. His bad guy organization had good brand recognition. Their was a funny episode of Robot Chicken that profiled all the bad guys from GI Joe after they retired. Cobra Commander was selling stuff on QVC and Destrow was a used car salesman.

      Delete
    2. I just watched a bunch of Robot Chicken/GI Joe videos on YouTube. Great stuff.

      Delete
    3. I love Robot Chicken. Look for the Smurfs acting out the movie Seven!

      Delete
  2. Great autograph from the Cobra -- always a fun player to watch play, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had a good career. Thought he would have had a chance for hall of fame since his numbers are comparable to some of the other fringe guys, but doesn't look like it is going to happen.

      Delete
  3. COB-RA LALALALALALALALA! Awesome signature, Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card! Love the concept of adding nickname inscriptions and hope it keeps becoming more commonplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in the mid/early 2000's several sets dedicated cards to nicknames, but it has been pretty quite for the last several years. I love this set. If I had more money than I knew what to do with I would go after all of them.

      Delete