The Legend

The Legend

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Old Grilled Cheese

Little bit later of a post today as I was watching the Pirates finally remember how to beat the Cardinals. It looks like the Pirates bats are waking up after a 2 week slumber.


2014 Allen & Ginter Jason Grilli mini 1/1

If I recall a fellow blogger (maybe Greg of Plaschke, Thy Sweater is Argyle) tipped me off about this one. It was so long a go (sometime last year) I don't remember what I paid, but I'm guessing it was a good deal for me to pull the trigger. 

As a Pirate fan it is not a good practice to get to attached to bullpen arms. Neil Huntington has done a good job of cycling guys through over the years getting maximum value once their contract is approaching the end. Because of short tenures, the Pirate pen is not represented very well in terms of high end cardboard. Grilli and Joel Hanrahan are the only two to have multiple releases over the last handful of years.

A former first round bust, Grilli was close to being out of baseball before revitalizing his career with the Bucs. He proved to be a key component on the 2013 Buccos. While not one of my favorite Pirates I still try to add a card here and there when the opportunity presents itself. 

Thanks for reading!

11 comments:

  1. Happy to help! Congrats on the addition!

    And you paid about 15 bucks, which I only know because you posted the card about a year ago ;)

    http://bobwalktheplank.blogspot.com/2014/07/my-first-2014-allen-and-ginter-card.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My memory is failing me. That is what I get for doing a blind post. The card was still sitting on my desk so I figured I better post about it.

      Delete
  2. Nice card, we're loving Grilli in Atlanta so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing what he is doing at his advanced age. Glad to see him be successful after being so close to out of baseball.

      Delete
  3. Haven't seen a triple play for sometime-too bad it was last nigh.arrr...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually seen two triple plays in person! That was an odd one last night.

      Delete
  4. At least *one* GM in the league understands the fungibility of bullpen arms. My GM thinks K-Rod deserved a two-year contract even though no one had offered him anything else before the Brewers came in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when Neil Huntington was struggling to get free agent talent to Pittsburgh he could always develop a bullpen. We have a lot of big arms. The only non arbitration deal I can remember in the bullpen for the Pirates was Grilli's two year deal.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. He wasn't one of my favorites, but he definitely played a key part to turning around the Buccos. He was a true diamond in the rough.

      Delete