The Legend

The Legend

Friday, May 29, 2015

Turn Back The Clock

The Spring is always a busy time for me at work and the nice weather means outside projects at home, so free time is hard to come by. While it is always nice to be busy, sometimes you just need a weekend to recharge the batteries. The slate as it stands now is clear for this weekend!  

My hope is to spend some much needed time with my cards to get organized and send out a few packages. I've received so much great stuff this week that I want to return the favor to keep the momentum going.

Card time!

I've shown quite a few Madlock items since I've started BWTP. He is just a fun guy to collect that doesn't hurt the wallet. Minus the high end releases pretty much all of the Mad Dog's cards are less than $10. This holds true with pretty much all the late 70's Pirates minus Pops.


2003 Topps Turn Back the Clock Bill Madlock Auto

I won this card for around $6 shipped. Nothing beats late 70's, early 80's Pirate uniforms! This card is commemorating Madlock's 4th and final batting title in 1983. The set only had 7 autos.

AR Al Rosen
BM Bill Madlock
DM Dale Murphy
HK Harmon Killebrew
JP Jim Palmer
LD Lenny Dykstra
TS Tom Seaver

These are not super rare autos as they fell around 1 in every 6 jumbo boxes, but now that the set is around 12 years old they are not popping up on eBay as much anymore. Madlock by far pops up the most. At the time I'm writing this only 4 show up on eBay with three being the Mad Dog.

If I'm recalling correctly I pulled the Dale Murphy from this set. The only reason I remember pulling that card was because it was my first ever purchase from Dave and Adams. Always amazing how looking at a card can make you remember the most random moments.

The Pirates are going for 8 in a row tonight. If this team can ever figure out how not to suck in April it would be a power house.

Have a great weekend.

8 comments:

  1. Great looking card. I might even have to find me my own copy. Congrats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess Madlock would be a nice get for you since he was a Dodger. I'm pretty sure he has a Dodger relic card, but I've never seen a certified auto featuring him in Dodger blue.

      Delete
  2. Beauty of a card for a great price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guys like Madlock, Parker, Oliver and Candelaria all sell super cheap. Even high end stuff doesn't go for much more than $20.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen this set. It's very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them too! For an autograph set it would semi-affordable to go after.

      Delete
  4. I've never seen the Rosen and didn't even know it existed.

    BUT I MUST HAVE IT.

    Nice addition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see a Rosen on eBay when I checked, but I'm sure you can find one.

      Delete