The Legend

The Legend

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

The Card Papoy Nets a White Whale

A few weeks back I created a list of cards I dubbed "white whales" which is found on the right side of the home page. The list wasn't necessarily a want list, but more of a challenge to find cards that have proved to be elusive over the years. Not all of these are rare, but after many attempts to acquire I've either moved on, or haven't found another auction to bid on.

Thanks to Kevin I can already mark one off my list!

2014 Topps Heritage Bill Virdon Auto

This card proved that in order to be elusive you don't have to be super rare. Kevin told me he found this  copy via the Buy it Now function on eBay. I need to make it more of a point to check the BIN function. When I search for cards on eBay I always sort by auction. This is a nice reminder that deals can be found in multiple ways on eBay.

When 2014 Heritage released I saw that this card was on the checklist and knew that I wanted it. While Virdon is a very active signer at shows he doesn't have much in the way of certified autos. I didn't think it would take this long to finally have the card in hand, but the search is over!

Big thanks to Kevin for doing the leg work on this one. You shall be rewarded for your efforts! Perhaps I will send you my finest DONRUSS!!! and PRIZM!!! cards since you are a PANINI!!! super collector.

I've created a "Found White Whales" page in order to commemorate the glorious occasion of finding these pesky cards. 

Thanks for reading!

12 comments:

  1. I'll let you in on my secret. I hope you're ready.

    here goes.

    I simply subscribed to the Vidron search, and ebay sent me an email a few days later.
    I'll always have your back !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try and limit my eBay searches to only a select few people so thanks for picking up the slack!

      Delete
  2. Awesome card! I've said it before and I'll say it again, if it has the 1965 Topps Design, it's a winner in my book. It's always satisfying to get your hands a card you've been looking for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heritage autos always look good because of the on card signature. Extra bonus for being a cool set!

      Delete
  3. I should have been paying better attention. I pulled that card last year, and it's just hanging out in my card boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are still holding onto that card I would be happy to send something your way for it.

      Delete
  4. Very cool! Kevin's quite the generous trader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin is one of the best. He is always looking out for me.

      Delete
  5. Nice pick up.
    BIN's always get me into trouble.
    =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...it has got me a few times too. That is why I stay away.

      Delete
  6. Very nice! That's a great shot of Virdon.

    He's an excellent signer through the mail, as well. If you've got any dupes lying about, it certainly wouldn't hurt to write him a letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should try more ttm. I've heard he us a great signer.

      Delete