The Legend

The Legend

Monday, May 7, 2018

Commence JBF Appreciation Week...Month...Year (Volume 1)

Where do I begin.  My tags tell me that I've posted about Wes 63 times, and we haven't even got to the main event.  Why you picked me for your shenanigans I will never know, but I'm thankful you did. 

As most of you know Wes used these 15 rounds of shipments as a final act of lunacy before his blogging retirement. I can't believe you lasted as long as you did. Your brand of trading has to be exhausting.  You deserve a break. 

For the final tribute posts I'm kind of winging this as I go.  Originally I had thought I would just do one long post thanking Wes for all he sent.  Upon closer examination of the cards he sent it turns out they were all autos/relics/parallels.  

Seriously, how crazy is that.  So in honor of Wes I decided that I would scan every single card he sent my way.  Its the least I can do.  Not quite sure of the post schedule yet.  I haven't even got to the baseball and it was by far the biggest portion of the shipment. 

Up first is hockey.  Card wise it was by far the smallest in numbers, but to give you a gauge of the overall volume it still clocks in at almost 40 hits. Before we get started I thought it would be fun to show at least one other big item that Wes has sent over the years as a final tribute. 


This arrived at my house a few months back.  I kind of laughed when it came in the mail.  Hard to hide the fact that you are about to receive a hockey stick.  This is a Zarley Zalapski game used stick.

To tell you the truth I'm not even sure how Wes found so many hockey cards over the years in Hazel Green Alabama.  Not exactly a hotbed for the NHL.  You must have befriended some friends up north. 

Now for photos.

I really, really, really want to start collecting hockey more actively but I always talk myself down.  







Vintage hockey players always look like 60 year old gym teachers.


You know, just some printing plates.  The way Wes casually throws around 1/1's is something to behold. I bet Wes has sent me 50 1/1's over the yeas.  That estimate may be conservative....
This guy was pretty good....




Love me some Phil Kessel.  Pittsburgh was a perfect fit for him.  No pressure to be the man when Crosby and Malkin are on your team.

Yes!!!!

Fluery is absolutely tearing it up as the goaltender for Vegas.


It is crazy the amount of good players the Pens have had in their relatively short history.
I kind of laughed when Hossa left Pittsburgh for Detroit to win a cup and the Pens ended up beating Detroit that same year.

Nice to have Letang healthy for a good part of the year.



Kovalev and Straka were fun to watch as Pens.  Both were snipers.




UD Black is soooo nice.



Did I tell you he sent a lot of hits......
The amount of autos and relics is mind boggling.

Goalie cards are probably even more fun then catcher cards.  I'm a fan of crazy helmets.

This was probably my favorite card of the bunch.  Danny DeVito Batman!

Now you can probably see why I decided to break up these posts.  It's taken me three days just to scan all the Steeler cards.  I want to work hard and get all these done though.....The Grand Finale is a true WOW.  I'm a pretty even keel guy when it comes to cards and this even caught me off guard.  

Thanks for reading.  More to come very soon! 

24 comments:

  1. That's amazing and I am really jealous right about now..maybe envious is the right word? There's no way I could ever repay that kind of generosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one can match that generosity except for maybe the guy that bought that 50k Ohtani Bowman rookie.

      Delete
  2. I am in awe of all those Penguins cards. That is truly amazing the amount of hits he sent your way. I need more hockey cards in my collection too. That Wregget UD card with his mask steals the show. I used to want to super collect Letang, but there are so many great cards that end up in Canada and shipping is a nightmare on the wallet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wanted to collect the Pens too, but too many financial barriers to accumulating a nice collection. Obviously if you avoid Crosby it opens up a bit more.

      Delete
  3. There is nothing you could do but accept the graciousness of this crazy man. No way to reciprocate here. It is humbling indeed. Wes has one big heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has been way too kind to me over the years. Even when I thought I had evened things out he comes back twice as hard.

      Delete
  4. Not many hockey sources in HG so I had to scour the globe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't buy. I still believe JBF has his own card printing press in the basement or something.
      Can't wait for the baseball posts!

      Delete
    2. I just imagines you driving across Canada and hitting every card shop

      Delete
    3. The baseball posts will be awe inspiring.

      Delete
  5. Those r so very cool. esp the game used stick. (as they would say where and how...).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man... that's quite the package. Love seeing Coffey on Penguins cards. Reminds me of playing NHL on the Sega Genesis back in the day. The Penguins straight up dominated in that game with Lemieux, Jagr, Stevens, Murphy, and #77.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Those early 90's Pens teams were awesome on video games.

      Delete
  7. That game used stick is amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just remember this was the lightest of the load.

      Delete
  8. I used to watch a lot of hockey (big flyers fan) but man was it fun to watch Kovalev on the power play on those penguins teams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kovalev was a sniper for a long time. He had an underrated career.

      Delete
  9. These posts are so loaded my craptacular internet connection can only handle one at a time. I'm actually more impressed at the obscure players. Where does Wes find all this stuff?

    "I kind of laughed when Hossa left Pittsburgh for Detroit to win a cup and the Pens ended up beating Detroit that same year." I did the same thing when Jarome Iginla balked at a trade to Boston because he didn't think they could win a Cup (they did) so he went to the Burgh instead (they didn't)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to happen a lot in hockey. The aging stars start to chase cups, but miss more than hit.

      As for Wes, who knows the ways of a madman.

      Delete