The Legend

The Legend

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Obscure Retail Sets


2002 Upper Deck Rookie Debut Brian Giles Auto /25

This was an exciting find for me.  I have an extensive Brian Giles collection so when an auto pops up that I don't have I get bidding tunnel vision.  Thankfully the final number was only a shade over $10.  

What makes this card so unique?  It is most definitely the set it came out of.  UD Rookie Debut was retail exclusive.  The set up was very odd, as it was a "bundled" update set.  It updates three 2002 UD sets: Honor roll, Ovation and Victory. The "set" only features relics and autos.  

The card itself is actually really nice.  Very bright on card auto with a hand numbered serial number. Had any of you heard of this set.  Once I looked it up I recognized a few of the cards, but could not remember the set all.  

Thanks for reading




6 comments:

  1. Nice addition! I miss some of those old UD designs like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really nice auto. These are a pain in the ass to find.

      Delete
  2. Upper Deck hand numbered their cards before it was cool... (sticks nose up to Topps)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very cool....Even more fun if it was more random numbering like on playoff sets. Some of those jersey cards would be numbered to 37, 46 223....weird shit like that.

      Delete
  3. Great pick up. I always liked Giles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He put up huge stats for the Pirates. They were just so bad at the time that no one noticed.

      Delete