The Legend

The Legend

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

New Dual

Last week I participated in Zippy's all auto team Blog Bat Around by using dual autos. I loved adding these cards over the years because it allowed me to collect non Pirate players I liked by using the Pirate player as justification for the purchase.  The other nice thing was that the Pirate player always drug the price down to a much more manageable amount.  You want a cheap Buster Posey auto, just throw Tony Sanchez on there! There is a Cal Ripken auto that I've been wanting to find for a long time that features former Pirate prospect Don Kelly.  That seems like a nice way to get a Ripken auto.

The golden era for me to add these type of cards was 2005-09.  They seemed to be plentiful and were added to sets that didn't cost $300 a box. Sets like Donruss Elite and Topps Co Signers were fun sets that featured tons of unique combos.

Today these combo Pirate autos just don't get made as much.  When Cutch became a bona fide superstar he stopped signing.  The only dual autos that feature Pirates seem to be prospect oriented. These type of cards tend to be in high end sets.  Time to play the eBay waiting game.

2017 Panini Flawless Josh Bell/Tyler Glasnow Auto /15

The above card is something I've had my eye on for a while.  I've been adding Glasnow cards at a vigorous pace since his market collapsed.  The issue with this card is that Josh Bell autos continued to sell at a high price.  Finally, between Bell's slow start and auto over saturation his cards have started to drop in value. I won this card for about $20.

Not a bad looking card.

Thanks for reading.




12 comments:

  1. That's quite the talented pair! I bet Bell turns it around eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think he will hit. I'm kind of hoping he reverts back to his less power more obp type of player. He started selling out for more power and I think it has effected his overall worth.

      Delete
  2. Really hope both guys have good years this year. I wanted this before you bought the card. For what that's worth. Nice pickup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first Pirate dual auto I've seen in a long time where both guys actually play on the big league team.

      Delete
  3. I wonder how much a lack of logos keeps the prices reasonable. $20 for a dual auto from a product like Flawless? Yup, you got another nice deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It effects it. I'm not sure to what degree, but it definitely plays a part. Sets like Flawless, National Treasures, or really any high end Panini set are perfect eBay fodder.

      Delete
  4. Keep in mind that there is a Cervelli and Posey dual auto out there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've seen that one a few times. If
      Cervelli was in the Buccos uniform I would be all over it.

      Delete
  5. Interesting card. Hadn't seen these yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah....Probably not the one you want to pull from a set like Flawless.

      Delete
  6. Great card! I've thought about writing a post on bargain autographs. If I ever do... combo cards will be part of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. I'm a constant bargain auto hunter. I've been able to add a lot of "legend" players because the card featured a failed prospect.

      Delete