The Legend

The Legend

Monday, July 24, 2017

Timing is Everything

2016 Elite Extra Edition Glasnow/Reyes Dual Patch /10

I'm always amazed when sellers pick the absolute worst time to put a card on eBay.  Take this dual patch as a very good example.  Both Glasnow and Reyes are two high end pitching prospects. The problem is that Glasnow got demoted a couple months back and Reyes is out for the season with an arm injury. Those facts make for a very nice buyers market.  

Normally I avoid these type of cards unless they come dirt cheap.  I already have a nice sampling of Glasnow autos and really have no interest in Alex Reyes.  Turns out my low ball bid of $8.99 was enough to win the card. I'm sure once Reyes is healthy I could sell it for a little bit of money next season, but I'm happy to add it to my Glasnow collection.  My guess is he'll eventually work his way back to the MLB at some point this season.  

Thanks for reading. 

14 comments:

  1. That just happened to me: I put a Judge card on eBay right after the All-Star game and then he tanks and I didn't get as much as I wanted. Oh well. Glad that you got such a good deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Judge card market is crazy. People have to be making crazy good money. I really haven't seen anything like this since Harper.

      Delete
  2. Very nice patches on that one.
    Yes, definitely a buyer's market on that particular card. I have no interest in Reyes either, but I have three different autos of him in my collection right now. I'm still not sure how that happened, but I do know now is not the time to try to cash in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how certain players seem to follow you. I pulled a crapload of Leonys Martin.

      Delete
  3. I agree. He sold low.

    I've been looking for a cheap Reyes auto. I met him at the airport and he was really nice, so might as well snag an auto while I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now is the time man. I bet you can get a nice one for cheap.

      Delete
  4. gorgeous patches! couldn't be much more colorful and what a great deal! good job there, Matt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elite Extra Edition has some nice patch cards. You should take a look for some Tiger prospects. They go pretty cheap.

      Delete
  5. Wow. Both of those patches are beautiful. Glad you were able to buy low on this new addition to your Glasnow collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a buyers market for Glasnow. It seems about 90% of prospects have this lull before they establish themselves. Good time to add cards.

      Delete
  6. That is a sweet card and great price. I wish Panini would have done a better airbrush job on Reyes. I do not recall him wearing #27 in the minors or majors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow I didn't know that. Wonder what the hell they are doing then?

      Delete
  7. Very nice patch pieces! Could be a good buy low card if both make it back, if not it's still a really good looking card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No reason to think Reyes won't. Glasnow is just one of those tall pitchers that has a super high ceiling, but the command creates huge bust potential.

      Delete