The Legend

The Legend

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Potpourri

I've been gone the better part of the last two weeks so I feel like I'm about a month behind scanning and organizing cards. So if you sent me cards in the last couple of weeks I'll be getting things scanned and posted in the coming days. Off the top of my head I know I have stuff from GCRL, Bo, John Miller and JBF. 

This post will feature some more great cards from Brian (Collecting Cutch).  Brian sent me a great sample of cards that I had to divide up in multiple posts because of the shear quantity.  This batch is the potpourri section as it features a variety of hits of well know Pirates. 


The Pirates somehow managed to keep their heads above water while Marte served his 80 game PED suspension.  Since his return they have been playing very good baseball. I have a weird obsession with All Star relics so this is a welcome addition.



The Pirates struck gold with Melancon in a variety of ways.  When he came as part of the Joel Hanrahan trade he was thought more as a throw in, but he had a big time resurgence.  After three and a half years with the Buccos he was traded for the Nats for Felipe Rivero and Taylor Hearn.  Rivero has developed into one of the best relievers and baseball and Hearn prospect status has really risen since the trade.  
I love the Nashville Sounds uniform!


Last, but not least is a low numbered auto of Gerrit Cole.  Lots of rumors of Cole being a big trade candidate at the beginning of the year, but with the team playing better it is hard to imagine the Buccos trading him away.

Thanks for all the great cards Brian.  I'll sprinkle in a couple more posts here soon to finish out all the great cards you sent my way.  

Thanks for reading! 

10 comments:

  1. The Aramis card is really nice. I know that the Just Minors cards are super cheap, and the players signed tons of copies of their cards, but there are tons of good players in those sets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cutch has a ton of minor league autos out there. It is the cheapest way to get one of his.

      Delete
  2. I still love how the #embeddedYankee Mark Melancon trades were terrible for Boston (minus Holt).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Melancon deal has been great for the Buccos in so many ways. He was so good for us then we flip him for Rivero who has been even better.

      Delete
    2. I hated to see Hanrahan get traded because I absolutely loved seeing him come out with Stone Sour playing in the background, the place was rocking!!! Getting Melancon in that deal was huge for the Pirates though. If you think about it, it all started with Sean Burnet who was flipped to Washington for the Hammer.

      Maybe a fun post idea would be a 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon type thing and see if you can connect pirates prospect Connor Joe to the last Pirates pitcher to finish a No Hitter.

      Delete
  3. Glad to see Cole is sticking around. Hope he returns to his old self eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never say never, but it does look like he will stay. The Pirates are probably close enough in the race that it would be hard to trade starting pitching unless we somehow got some in return.

      Delete
  4. I like All-Star relic cards too for some reason. Not really sure why. I guess because the jersey color is usually different than the normal relic swatches I'm used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I went crazy for the Triple Threads patches a few years back.

      Delete