The Legend

The Legend

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Retail Only 1/1


2004 Donruss Team Heroes Craig Wilson Auto 1/1

This card popped up on eBay while I was at the beach. It was a straight BIN of $20 and I pulled the trigger. I'm guessing I slightly overpaid, but it wasn't enough to risk losing a 1/1 auto of a player I really liked. My guess if the card was on auction it would have sold in the $10 to $15 range, but you just never know on the rare cards.  

Team Heroes was a retail only set that featured an eclectic checklist.  You had stars like Arod and Randy Johnson, but since the set was so big (465 cards) you would find players like Craig Wilson. I love how the text on the back of the card said "success has come in streaks for the Pirates." I think that was Donruss's way of saying the Pirates are very shitty at this point of time.  

I can't remember the last time I added a Craig Wilson  so this was a very welcome addition to the collection. Long live obscure players!  The thing about Wilson is that I always thought he played about ten years too soon.  I think his skill set would have played better today being that he could play multiple positions (including catcher) and was a very high obp guy.  He still managed a 7 year career so I guess things worked out either way.  

Thanks for reading! 

12 comments:

  1. It's sometimes tough not to pull the trigger on a 1/1. You may never see it again. The only Superfractor I have I way overpaid for it to finish my rainbow but I couldn't see it go bye bye again and lose it forever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It basically just becomes a measure of how much you want something. For a card that costs $20 or less I pretty much just say to myself "would I rather open a blaster or buy this card." 99% of the time it will be the single.

      Delete
  2. I saw it and watched. And then you got it lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really had to search for that 1/1 marking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The numbering is actually bigger than usual, but the placement makes it super hard to see.

      Delete
  4. True 1/1! Nothing wrong with adding somewhat obscure players like Wilson. I didn't realize he was actually drafted by the Jays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. only one like it and not worth losing at that price. How many 1/1s do you own Matt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pretty good bit because many Pirates could be had for $5 to $10 range. If you count plates I have a ton.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the 1/1 purchase! I don't mind paying more than my estimated value if it's a card that I really want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This price wasn't that far off. It it was marked $30 to $40 I would probably had to wait.

      Delete