The Legend

The Legend

Friday, April 6, 2018

Sometimes Relics are Fun

I'm having a little contest....join here.  This is a cool card that one of the monster boxes threw up while I was digging yesterday.  Relic cards are becoming passe, but if you look hard enough you can find some unique ones that are still noteworthy. 




2005 Bowman Heritage Pieces of Greatness Griffith Stadium/Josh Gibson

I have a few stadium relics in my collection. Obviously this one was purchased because it featured Josh Gibson. The relic is actually Griffith Stadium in Washington DC.  The stadium was known to have huge dimensions so Gibson made a name for himself as being one of the few who could clear the fences with relative ease.  

It's fun to read about about these old stadiums.  Besides the huge dimensions it was also famous for having a "presidential box" near the first base dugout. 

Here are a few links about the history.

Happy Friday! 
Thanks for reading

18 comments:

  1. Relics anymore are nothing. A Josh Gibson relic (even if it's not HIS relic) is far from nothing. This has to be one of, if not THE, coolest modern Gibson cards available.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with Kin on this one. Outstanding relic to go with the Josh Gibson card.
      I don't really go gaga over the plain gray or white jersey relics, but everything else is pretty cool my mind. Especially something as unique as a stadium seat from a place that is long gone.

      Delete
  2. I too, have this relic card. It's one of the greatest relic cards in my collection considering the dying popularity of the card itself. Stadium Seats are pretty cool, especially if Josh Gibson played at that stadium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of my more unique ones. I need to dig up the Forbes Field one I have.

      Delete
  3. That is an awesome card, anything with Josh Gibson is unique. The design works well, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Rare to say "great relic" these days, but I do love this one.

      Delete
  5. I can tell you I was recently excited by a Jackie Robinson relic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome card! I was fortunate to find this card at a card show either last year or the year before. I knew as soon as I saw it... that I wanted it for my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to find these for a good price. It was a guarantee buy for me as well.

      Delete
  7. Nice. Love the older guys coming up with relics. The newer ones ehhh.. could care less for the plastic relics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The manu relics are just not that nice. Nice relics still exist today, but most are overpriced patches.

      Delete
  8. Awesome! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a couple of stadium seat relics from long gone venues. this Gibson has to be one of the best I've seen. thanks for showing it off here so I know to be looking!

    ReplyDelete