The Legend

The Legend

Sunday, April 22, 2018

A Glimpse of What Could Be

Since I'm an active WVU collector it allows me to explore some football and basketball sets.  Of course with Panini having the NFL license you can get a glimpse of what their non licensed baseball products would look like. 

I don't attend for this to be a bash Panini post.  More of a "could you imagine how cool this card would look" post. I still enjoy picking up certain Panini products (National Treasures and Diamond Kings come to mind).  Plus they are much better including obscure players than Topps which makes for fun eBay pickups.  




While this is far from my favorite Prizm football card you can easily see that certain parallels would look sharp depending on the color scheme.

Prizm baseball is one of the more ridiculed sets Panini puts out.  While I've bought Prizm baseball on several occasions because obscure Pirates have received cards, the base set does look rough.



I actually kind of like the Hughes auto just because it is trippy and it distracts you from looking at the players picture.  The Cutch card is rough.  Like many Panini products they will get business because of quality checklists.





Here is a cool Optic auto from this past years football release.  Much nicer than the Glasnow auto for sure.  If they could just do something about the hats.  I think that is what bothers me the most. When positioned right the uniforms can be blocked for the most part.  That damn blank hat just looks so bad.

I think everyone should have a small sub collection where they can explore other sports. My WVU collection helps keep things fresh. It allows me to do stupid posts like this every once in a while.

Thanks for reading!



6 comments:

  1. Ive considered this with Syracuse basketball but never quite got it off the ground. You’re much more committed than I am. Also, a lot of past WVU guys end up with the Bengals I’ve noticed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you ever get back to the Syracuse area for games or alumni events? I'm still in Morgantown so WVU stuff is always fresh in the mind. Think that keeps the collection going too.

      Delete
  2. Panini has some nice cards (Immaculate in particular), but most of the base designs don't appeal to me. It's one thing that's kept me from buying more football and basketball cards. That said I have wondered what kind of (licensed) baseball issues they'd have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get it and my Panini purchases are mainly checklist based. 90% of the base sets look pretty bad. The winners are their college based sets and old time sets that feature pre war players.

      Delete