The Legend

The Legend

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Two Pops

This blind trade has been taken to another level....

These are courtesy of Dennis from Too Many Verlanders. 



Just getting this card alone would be a legendary haul.....BUT



Getting two Pops autos in the same envelope is just plain crazy.   Dennis really put his foot on the pedal this time around.  For obvious reasons Pops certified autos are not easy to come by.  They are generally numbered low and are inserted in higher end sets as cut autos.



I think most collectors despise manu-relics because card companies like to count them as "hits" in boxes. I would be included in that mix.  With that being said I'm happy to take Pirate variations in trade. These commemorate first career homeruns.

This is a solid looking non licensed card.  I feel like Diaz has been in the minors for about 15 years before getting the backup job this year.  The idea this year is to try and give Cervelli more days off to keep fresh.  Hopefully Diaz hits enough to warrant the playing time.

I wonder if Giles went on the DL after signing all those autos.....

I love crazy shit like this.  God bless mid 90's to early 2000's cardboard.  Some of it may make no sense, but at least it was different.
Exhibit 2 for my point above.  More cards should be burned out with a laser.  Also, this is about the most appropriate insert set name for a Pirate player ever.  I would like to have a dollar for every time I said (insert player) has been a bright spot in an overall miserable season.

Finest has long been a favorite.
A very unique Giles.
Lot's of shiny here.  Former WV Black Bear Will Craig makes an appearance as well as a very early card of Josh Bell.
A very early First Day Issue Stadium Club card of Al Martin.
Pitcher leader cards for the Buccos throughout the 2000's were soooooo sad.

A lot going on with this Porter.  You get the Steelers picture, but technically a Dolphins card.  My collection so my rules....counts as a Steeler.
I've been getting lots of West cards in trades lately which is so cool.  I don't get to buy much in the way of basketball since WVU doesn't produce much NBA talent.

Geno and Tavon put up a ton of points during their tenure as Mountaineers.
Bulger was such a late draft pick by the Saints that he didn't get a ton of rookie cardboard, but he sure made up for it with his Rams tenure.
Thanks a ton Dennis.  You really hit me hard with those 2 Pops autos.  Can't wait for the next round of trading!

Thanks for reading.

17 comments:

  1. For a split second I got Elias Diaz mixed up with Robinzon Diaz (you said he'd been in the org forever after all).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha....the infamous Diaz was part of the Joey Bats trade.

      Delete
  2. Really great assortment. Lasers should be used on more cards. I agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't see Topps Laser pop up that much in trades. Always exciting.

      Delete
  3. The only manu-relics that I would want to pull would be for my team, with pulling a friend's team an acceptable alternative. But when I pull one that I have no real use for, I feel really let down. I agree that it shouldn't be a hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they just don't really have a great place other than player collectors.

      Delete
  4. Dennis is one of the best. Lots of neat stuff in this post-the Kendall cards, the Giles lumber..but those Stargell autos are legen...wait for it...



    dary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is here all week folks!

      Yeah, Dennis is the man. He and I make a pretty good team because we have the exact same collecting habits. He is just more organized!

      Delete
  5. Love the Stargells! I just got a surprise package from Dennis yesterday.. looking forward to checking it out. He always packs a punch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dennis is one of the best traders out there. He really pays attention to what people collect.

      Delete
  6. Two Stargell autographs is quite the blind trade package. It's kinda a shame Donruss cut up that beautiful 1989 Perez-Steele postcard to make that cut though. Oh well. Anytime you can add an autograph of Pop to your PC, you can't complain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, card wise cut autos are the only way from now on. At least he has a few on card autos out there that he signed before he passed away.

      Delete
  7. Some great looking 1990s and earlier 2000s cards in this post. Love the Jason Kendall die cut card from Topps Laser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always excited to see Laser cards. You just don't see them getting passed around that often.

      Delete
  8. nice Diaz auto! Panini did it right! Pops autos are to be appreciated no matter the format. These are cool to own. Dennis did a great job with this package!!!

    ReplyDelete