The Legend

The Legend

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

The JBF Grand Finale (and surrender)

After some constant trolling I received JBF's final shot on Monday.  I teased one card as soon as I got it, but knew it would take me a day to get things in order for a post. It was as advertised and even included some help from fellow bloggers. 

Of course everything came in a huge Priority Mail box.  After opening this was the first thing I saw....


The cards in this envelope were beyond crazy.  I didn't think he could top the last package, but JBF is a man of his word. Those 8 cards are at the bottom of this post.  I could have easily done a post on each one, but one big post better sums up JBF's insane personality.

 The answer is "Yes"

 What could it be......
 The man has flair.
 At least it is autographed.
 I almost missed this pin.  It looks really old and features Big Poison Paul Waner.  Little Poison will be featured prominently here in a bit.

 I thought for sure these were going to be all Bob Walk's.
 That is more like it......
 I would love to know the background of this plaque. JBF said the guy he got it from didn't have much of a description.

A cool autographed photo of Elroy Face.

While the main event is the 8 cards at the end, JBF had plenty of other cards in the box. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking here.


Kind of looks like an Xmas card.


This card is very sharp looking in person. Scan doesn't do it much justice.







I think JBF has given me just about every parallel from the Prime Signatures set.  One of my favorite football sets ever.  Classy looking set.




This is now my best Steelers card.  Dual auto!

Nice WVU uniform shot!





Now for the Kevin White portion of the show







A few Pens cards....
Really like the Elite Series Sidney Crosby.

Steelers!


As you know I'm a big college football guy so Elite was always a nice set for rookies in their college duds. 

Some hypnotic cards.

WVU time
Pat White was the honorary captain for Senior week Saturday.

Tavon is going to go down as one of the more wasted talents because of poor quarterback play and Jeff Fisher.
The Jets are a mess. So pissed that Geno got hurt as he was going to get the opportunity to win back the job.

Upper Deck with the win.

Baseball time!



I'm not sure if Cutch makes it out a Pirate once the Winter Meetings are over.  That will be a sad day for sure.

Harrison is supposedly on the block as well.



Love the Derek Bell's.  Operation Shutdown is one of the best player meltdowns in recent history.



Going through some cards the other day I think Jason Kendall might be the leader of cool cards in the last 20 years. He has some great shots. I think Tekulve is the all time leader because every card of his is the best card ever.

Fancy base!
A slew of Clemente's.  More from him below......
I received the whole team set.  These are the most "minor league" of them all.


MAIN EVENT 


JBF was able to nail two of the remaining three cards off my White Whale list. 

I had kind of a weird obsession with these Donruss Studio cards with PNC Park in the background.
I was most happy to see this bad boy.  These Upper Deck MVP autos were extremely hard to find. The auto is on card and I love how the auto is centered.
Just a bat card of Hall of Famer Arky Vaughan.


The theme with most of the grand finale was legend based on new cards, but JBF snuck one super high end old card. Players should have to wear sweaters today.

This is the card I teased on the blog and Twitter Monday.  We are deep into head shaking territory with the last few cards.





Clemente's popularity is evident when you look on eBay. So much so that I don't even look to add Clemente cards because of the competition.  His popularity transcends the team so every auction has double digit bids.  I really couldn't believe it when I saw this card pop out of the envelope.  

Autograph of Pirate Hall of Famer Max Carey! Obviously this auto is super cool given that Carey's playing days were in the 1910's and 20's.


Last and definitely not least is Pirate Hall of Famer Lloyd "Little Poison" Waner.  Seriously, sometimes words don't do justice to how cool it is to have a Waner auto.

Pretty crazy, right?


This was an entertaining war, but it is time for me to call it quits. JBF still has a few things in transit from me to finish out my portion of the bombings but as you can see the damage is already done.  I won't be able to dig out from this one for a while.  

I offer my sword.

Just to be safe I may hoard a few things back in case you don't accept my terms.

Thanks for reading.

35 comments:

  1. Dude amazing mail day. JBF the man!

    That T206 and Clemente wow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have know JBF was up to something when we didn't trade for almost 6 months.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I know what you mean about Clemente... I browse through his auctions from time-to-time hoping to pick off a cheap card that everyone overlooks, but there is WAY too much competition for his stuff.
    The Max Carey and Little Poison autos are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every team has that one guy that 0 deals exist. Right now that is Bryant for you. Cutch is expensive but you can still get an auto for under $50 so if you budget you can afford it. Clemente is just through the roof.

      Delete
  3. Geez, I don't blame you one bit for surrendering. Love all those Clementes. I agree too that Jason Kendall seemed to have some of the most consistently cool cards of any player in recent memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to have a Kendall centric post soon. His cards are outstanding.

      Delete
  4. Incredible haul. Love the Wanet auto. The P. Waner pin is a 1933 CrackerJack pr4. Super cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info on the pin. They are so small I almost missed it in the package.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. He is sneaky. If you don't seem him posting for a while that means some poor soul is going to get 10,000 cards dropped on him.

      Delete
  6. My jaw is still in the dropped position (and it's really hard to type that way). LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come to expect anything but the last two packages he sent were on another level.

      Delete
  7. Another epic package from JayHabBarkerFan, killing those white whales. And the HOF stuff is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldn't be that excited about a Brian Giles auto, but I've been trying to get those two for a long time. It was so cool to finally see that MVP one in person. They are tough.

      Delete
  8. Man we have fun dont we bro. I accept your surrender

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. I'm always saying damn and geez a lot when I open packages from JBF.

      Delete
  10. Yeah, I'm not even going to bother sending what I have to you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JBF operates on another level. Don't let that phase you.

      Delete
  11. Haha - what kin said...you may as well toss my Operation PWE stuff away when it arrives! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. always a good day when you add a T206 to the collection

    ReplyDelete
  13. That may have been my first words opening the envelope that had the crazy 8 cards.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is that what the kids mean when they say "you got served"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the cardboard version of getting served for sure.

      Delete
  15. Great stuff. You've got to have deep pockets if you're planning on going into battle with JBF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just have to have an open mind. JBF just likes doing this. He is like the Robin Hood of card traders.

      Delete
  16. Like we say in France : wow !
    and more than just monetary value, what impresses me most of course is the thought that went into this. Perfect fits to your collection all around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. Sometimes it is to get lost in the amount of cards, but when you look closely you see how much work and thought went into each bombing. JBF is the man.

      Delete