Fellow Pirate blog Collecting Cutch decided to hold a contest where you feature your ten favorite cards of your favorite player. While this is a little out of my comfort zone (waiting on obscure 90's Pirate inserts contest!), I can definitely hold my own with my favorite Canadian Pirate. The bad thing with Bay is that his peak was right dead smack in hit/relic craze. He doesn't have many cool base cards and inserts. I actually have quite a few 1/1's of Bay, but most are on the boring side. The cards featured were mainly hard to get ones and have a story to go along with them.
10. I love cards that give me excuses to add autos of other players. This is a nice triple auto featuring three guys that put up big numbers in the mid to late 2000's. No hall of famers here, but just three guys that had nice long careers.
8. This card cracks me up. It has 5 signatures of Pirates, but only three in Pirate uniforms. The Pirates were selling off players at a fast pace when this card was made. So weird and funny it had to be on the list.
7. Like a college football team that takes a bad loss, this Bay will probably be off the list next year because the red ink will likely fade. I've done all the precautions to slow it down, but it is likely inevitable. You had a nice run red ink Bay.
6. Freaking Ballpark Collections had a knack of showing a player in one uniform and a different team featured in print. It is my only Bay logo card so it was enough to make the list.
5. For whatever reason Jason Bay was featured with a lot of Marlins players in a short span. He has cards with Miggy, Josh Willingham and Jeremy Hermida. It also cracks me up that Travis Hafner got thrown in there.
4. Of all the Bay cards out there, the ones from Exquisite probably took me the longest to get. Lots of low numbered parallels. This one is on here more for the hunt than the actual look.
3. Erase Hafner add David Wright. While it may look pricey, having Miggy in his Marlins uniform cuts the price down significantly.
2. Bay doesn't have much with Clemente so this one had to make the list.
1. It's a tie! I always laugh at Jeter's signature. He and my 3 year old have similar autos.
I had three other Bay cards I really wanted to put on the list, but they are buried deep in a closet. So I'll give honorable mention to a couple Bay cards featuring a cool Canadian WBC patch.
Thanks for reading.