A few years back I took a long hard look at my collecting habits to better understand what I actually enjoyed. The self reflection looked something like this....
The biggest thing to come out of this was discontinuing set collecting. I think at some point I would enjoy putting together a vintage set, but ultimately I want my money to go towards Pirate and WVU cards. I guess I'm just not one to have a lot of "projects" going on in terms of my collecting. I didn't like that feeling of trying to get something to the finish line. That probably stems from always having to do that in my work life.
With that being said here is a list of what I consider my collections in order of emphasis. As you get further down the list I spend less and less money on that collection.
1. Pirates - Shocker, right? I don't give myself any guidelines to my collection outside of the financial aspect. Obviously if you follow my blog the emphasis is more on "newer" cards. With that being said I just like cards. I'm not picky....Vintage, inserts, base, relics, autos...You name it I like it.
2. WVU - I'm a WVU Grad and also work there. Obviously WVU has been a big part of my adult life. It has been fun to tie that in with my favorite hobby. Usually my only restriction is staying away from high draft picks to conserve funds. This has proven wise as WVU has had some major draft busts in recent memory. Guys like Joe Alexander, Pat White and Geno Smith have all seen their card prices plummet. While I hate seeing this it allows me to pick up cards at bargain prices.
3. Black Bears - This is my one true project. I'm trying to get all the cards that show players in the Black Bear uniform. While this seems lofty, it is quite easy. The Black Bears have only been around for two seasons. The only set to produce a major release is Topps Pro Debut. While I try to get all the parallels, I don't kill myself over it.
4. Steelers - Before I got married I would constantly add cards on a regular basis. In order to conserve funds this has become a blog trade only project.
5. Penguins - In the same boat as the Steelers. Love collecting them, but blog trade only.
So that is pretty much everything I collect. No big surprises here.
Thanks for reading.