The Legend

The Legend

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Shocker.....2016 Topps

I don't really have anything earth shattering to say about 2016 Topps.  I'm a lot more liberal in my card collecting ventures. Very few sets exist that I loathe and very few exist that I'm shouting on rooftops confessing my love.  Like most sets 2016 falls somewhere in between that scale.

The first thing that catches my eye about a new product is the checklist. If I see a new Pirate in the set that usually gets my attention. It doesn't matter if it is unlicensed release or a Topps card. From there I'll explore a set for more ascetically pleasing cards of the more established Pirates.

I knew Series 1 was pretty light on new Pirates so I decided to pass on box breaks. Like last year I knew I wanted to grab a couple new silver frames with Neil Walker and Francisco Cervelli being at the top of the list.

For some reason Topps decided to make the silver frames even more rare this year lowering the number produced from 20 to 16. Early on prices are reflecting that. Just last night a Cutch version went off for $90......Yikes!

2016 Topps Silver Frame Neil Walker /16

The last couple of years Walker didn't get much love from the card companies so parallels of base cards were the only chase cards on the market. Also, being that Walker is from Pittsburgh he has a decent amount of collectors chasing his stuff.  This causes card prices to shoot up. 

Last year I watched the 2015 versions sell consistently in the $30-40 range. I snagged mine for shade under this threshold. Unlike my post yesterday about the mini parallel  I was happy to pay this amount as it will likely be the last flagship card of the now former Pirate. Plus, I really love the silver frames and have accumulated a nice collection of various Buccos. 

If any of you happen to pull a silver framed Pirate I'm your man! 

Thanks for reading. 

9 comments:

  1. I too scan the checklist for any new product for new Cubs before deciding if I'll pursue any further. The design is definitely secondary to me. The thrill of seeing a guy in a Chicago uniform for the first time is usually enough to overcome even the ugliest of designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony hit the nail on the head with his last sentence. I did a victory dance when David Ross finally got his first card as a Cub.

      Delete
    2. I agree. I'll be like that when the likes of Jon Niese and John Jaso get their first Pirate card.

      Delete
  2. I still need to get myself some 2016. I have been slacking on that and still haven't gotten any 2015 Topps Chrome baseball or football.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For about 2 months I was only picking up early 2000's cards. Sometimes it is better to let the initial wave of cards sell on eBay as they are usually much more expensive.

      Delete
  3. Very nice Walker!!

    Got an envelope headed your way tomorrow with few Pirates cards inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marte sold in the $90 range too. I was fortunate to grab both Charlie Morton and Francisco Liriano silver frames for around $20 each. It sucks that you and I have to battle each other on certain cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $90 is ridiculous. Marte cards all over the place price wise.

      Delete