The Legend

The Legend

Sunday, January 22, 2017

I Pick Favorites

Whenever I start to organize cards I become sidetracked within about two minutes.  I'll either pick up my phone to read something about a player whose name I just saw, pull a bunch of cards out that are blog worthy or spend my time trying to jog my memory how I originally came to own a certain card.

Sure enough the other day I was looking through some autographs and I pulled this card out.

2000 Fleer Greats of the Game Willie Stargell Auto

I actually think I traded for this card when a card shop existed in Morgantown. It is rare for me to find cards that were made in the 2000's that I didn't utilize eBay. 

Greats of the Game is one of the more iconic auto sets ever created. The set featured some of the best players of all time, the autos were on card and the design was top notch.  It seems these have become even more popular as time went on.  I've actually read a few stories of people completing this set. 

I have a decent amount of Stargell autos in my collection, but this is my favorite. Mainly this due for the fact that it is an on card auto as Pops passed away in 2001. Pretty much everything you see now is a cut auto. 

Back to sorting......oh look a cool Kendall card.

Thanks for reading. 

16 comments:

  1. one of my all-time favorite sets. I pulled a Whitey Ford auto out of the only box I opened. It's long gone. I was stupid back in the day, not appreciating old-timers and HOFers. So DUMB! Now that's nearly all I collect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gained an early appreciation because the only Pirates in premium sets for the longest time were old timers. Most new players I chased were very cheap so I could splurge on nice autos back in the early 2000's.

      Delete
  2. AH yes...one of the hundred card shops that came and went in north central West Virginia...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely get distracted when sorting cards - usually it's when I put new base commons in a binder and I have to make room by moving other cards. That is a sweet Stargell auto! I'm a big fan of 2000 Greats of the Game autos, but I only have one or two in my collection at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful set. Hard to pick up now because they have a big following. Many people try to put the whole set together.

      Delete
  4. Such a great set! I've gotten a few signed TTM too. Perfect surface for autos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could definitely see that. Lots of room for nice autos.

      Delete
  5. I agree, the greats of the Game Sets are awesome even without the autos. I even like the Later called Fleer and Flair Greats sets too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you, that's easily one of the best, if not THE best, autograph sets period. And Stargell had a fantastic signature!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those on card autographs from the early Greats of the Game sets. As for Pops... one of my most treasured autographs is my 1999 SP Signature autograph. Love the design and his signature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the SP signature....probably my second favorite behind this one.

      Delete
  8. I do miss the old Fleer GOTG sets. I have a Herb Score and Dale Murphy. I believe I still have an Otto Graham as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to find sets that deliver as much punch as these old auto sets.

      Delete