The Legend

The Legend

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Skippers

For whatever reason I love manager cards. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I opened about 10,000 packs of 1989 Topps as a child and can remember pulling the likes of Tommy Lasorda and Pete Rose.  I guess those memories fuel the present day desire to find modern Pirate manager cards.

My two biggest finds during my blogging time was this Danny Murtaugh auto and former white whale Gene Lamont. It seems kind of weird that a Gene Lamont auto would be so hard to find, but that damn card took 10 plus years to secure.

The last couple of years have been light in the manger card department. Topps released an auto set of GM's which featured Neil Huntington of the Pirates, but that was really the only thing of note in terms of Pirates. Thankfully 2016 Allen & Ginter came to the rescue.

2016 Allen & Ginter Skippers Mini Clint Hurdle

Of course this can't be a "normal" mini, but instead it was an unannounced case hit that fell 1:288 packs. Some of the bigger name managers like Maddon, Mattingly and Girardi sell in the $50 range. Thankfully Hurdle is a little on the cheaper side selling in the $20-25 range.  

Is it stupid to pay that much for a short print mini card?.... You bet it is, but I knew I wanted the card and eventually the well would dry up on these as so many people collect Ginter. At last check only one Hurdle was on eBay. So right before Christmas I bit the bullet and won the auction. My weird manager card obsession continues. 


10 comments:

  1. Some of the best cards are manager cards - the 1992 Topps Jim Leyland card, for instance, is one of my favorites. I think I might just steal this concept for a future post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do it. Definitely a lot you can do with it.

      Delete
  2. That's what makes collecting fun.. If everyone collected the same things, it'd be boring. That said, some of the things I collect are odd.. Love stadium cards and minor league logo cards lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love minor league cards myself. I've been obsessed adding WV Black Bears cards.

      Delete
  3. Uggh. Not looking forward to attempting to complete this set...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that a completed set sold for almost $600......

      Delete
  4. It makes me mad that these are so difficult to find. I like manager cards a lot, too, but lots of collectors seem to ignore them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was upset that they were so scare because I knew I would go after no matter what.

      Delete
  5. I love collecting managers too. I enjoy collecting Billy Martin almost as much as I enjoy collecting Rickey Henderson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Collecting stars is fun, but it nice to have something that is unique and doesn't carry huge prices.

      Delete