The Legend

The Legend

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Cool Now but I'm Sad Now


This Marte has been the only Pirate NOW card at this point of the season. Love any card featuring the Buccos in their 79 Sunday jerseys.  I was watching the game when this happened so I kind of figured this moment would be made into a card since Topps absolutely loves walk off cards. They seriously make every walk off card a NOW card.

Speaking of Marte, I was pretty upset about his suspension. The Pirates were considered a fringe contender at the beginning of the year. That means they have little margin for error. Losing arguably your most important player for the most selfish of reasons is hard to take. This could have a trickle down effect if the Buccos are out of the playoff hunt around deadline time. Really no one is safe from being traded minus Polanco and Taillon. I hope they can stay afloat.

I was a little disappointed that Topps didn't make a NOW card for Dovydas Neverausks. He made his debut last night becoming the first Lithuanian born player to play in  the majors.  He was sent back tonight to make way for Gift Ngoepe who became the first player from Africa to play in the majors. Pretty cool stuff.  Maybe we will get a dual card tomorrow, although I'm sure someone will hit a walk off single.

Thanks for reading.

20 comments:

  1. I hope Gift Ngoepe's first hit will be a Topps Now card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad he got one. Nova just got one too!!!!

      Delete
  2. Agreed about the debut cards. Sometimes their selection process seems wonky. Seeing as they just had one for the Giants guy that made his debut (despite going 0-4), hopefully Ngoepe gets one. I watched the game and that was a nice moment for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy they made one. The story is just too good to ignore. It sold around 750 copies which is one of the higher ones so far this year.

      Delete
  3. It sucks that Marte got popped for steroids. It really does. But I do have to correct your statement about walk offs. The Brewers had one against the Cubs this year already and, hey, guess what -- if it's a walk off against the Cubs it does not get featured!

    I would consider Ngoepe's debut as nearly a certainty to be featured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Topps has it out for you now. Did they block you yet?

      Delete
  4. It's a good looking card. Hopefully they'll make a Gift Now card, or at least something special for Series 2 or Update.
    I was a little peeved that several Topps Now cards were repeated in the update set last year, but I suppose that's the business model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The Now cards should stay as unique as possible. Reusing the same picture is just lazy and takes away the prestige of the set.

      Delete
  5. Gift got a Now card. I'm going to have to get that one. I'm thinking that the Pirates will find a way to get in the chase at the deadline and the Buccos are buyers instead of sellers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your right, but they have just been snake bitten with injuries and off the field issues. With the current crop of players out there it really seems they are playing at their peak. I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully Jung Ho comes back in early June. That will help big time.

      Delete
  6. My buddy drafted Marte in the first round in his big $$$ league. He's pretty bummed out about that. As for those uniforms... they're awesome! Only thing missing are a few Stargell Stars. RIP Pops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marte probably hurt a ton of fantasy teams. Such a greedy decision by him. Just be thankful the punishment is only 80 games.

      Delete
  7. Every time I see a Jay on Topps Now I get sad... Only because for me to get a single card from them costs me $50 US.. Factoring exchange, that's about $75-80 for a single piece of cardboard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike if there are any future topps now jays cards you want, let me know when they are released and I will try to get them for much much less.

      Delete
  8. Hated to hear that about Marte. He isn't one I would have expected. Alex Avila maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. You just never know. Most people think of muscle bound guys like Bonds and Giambi. It seems more pitchers are using it than anybody now...

      Delete