The Legend

The Legend

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Box Break: 2014 Donruss Series 1

Like I said yesterday my impulse box break consisted of two boxes.  The Topps Chrome box that I showed off yesterday and a box of 2014 Donruss Series 1.  I've actually opened a fair amount of Donruss while I was off recovering from my surgery. This was about the same time as the National and Dave and Adams was running a big sale. For an autograph collector like myself it was a good way to accumulate some fun autos and some trade bait. It also yielded the Biggio Recollection auto which was a nice pull.  I found this box to be a little above average, but not for the autos....



 I like the Dominators and Elite Series inserts.  All of them are numbered to 999.
 Jay Bruce Diamond King /400
 Eric Hosmer Stat Parallel /217
 Brandon Moss Press Proof /199







Nothing too special with the Brandon Barnes auto.  He was traded to Colorado in the Dexter Fowler deal. Miguel Sano is a big prospect that will be returning from injury this coming season. I was happy to pull an auto of the Twins prospect.
The big card in the box was World Series MVP Madison Bumgarner. The patch is numbered to 25 and has three colors. Patch cards are pretty hard to come by in Donruss only falling 1 or 2 a case. I guess if there was ever a time to pull a Bumgarner it is now.

You get what you pay for in Donruss. The set itself is pretty plain, but the inserts and "hits" are plentiful. For less than $45 you get a couple of autos and usually at least 1 relic.  I actually had a box yield two autos and 3 relics back in July. In terms of Panini products I still like Prizm better, but Donruss makes for a fun break. I may take a stab at Series 2 once it comes down a little in price.

Thanks for reading.

12 comments:

  1. Donruss is definitely a fun break, and yields a nice number of inserts and shiny things. But every time I see a Sano card I get a little sad. Oh how I would love to have him in our minor league system right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the Sano thing was an early blemish on Huntington. I think they were a little to nonchalant about the whole contract situation.

      Delete
  2. It's almost like the Hosmer and Moss cards are the same player with some Photoshop editing done to change the uniform colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are super similar. You have to look really close just to see some differences.

      Delete
  3. As Jim Cramer on CNBC would say about that Bumgarner, "Sell Sell Sell!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Cramer is trying to make me money! I'm not one to sell cards very often. I'll probably hold it for ArpSmith until he pulls a good Pirate.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for thinking of me! I am now on the hunt for a good Pirate. Heading to my old LCS this weekend, anyone In particular that you would be interested in?
    That is a great looking card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I pulled it. I'll shoot you an email.

      Delete
  5. Nice break.
    I'd prefer the other Donruss offering (Elite Extra) but this was a pretty great box regardless. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Panini prospects sets too. Elite Extra and Prizm Draft Picks are both fun busts (and cheap). The Sano and Bumgarner were nice surprises. It was nice to end my run of piss poor boxes.

      Delete
  6. Solid box. That Madison is a solid pull, especially right now. Hope you reap the benefits of the Sano one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had nice luck pulling Sano this year. Also got him out of a box of Prizm.

      I was excited to pull the Bumgarner and immediately thought of Adam (Arpsmith).

      Delete