The Legend

The Legend

Friday, November 21, 2014

Trade: Mark Hoyle (Hangover Edition)

WVU played Kansas State last night. Back when I was in school we played a ton of Thursday games when we were in the Big East. I remember loving the environment and skipping class to tailgate. Now that I'm a working stiff I hate Thursdays game.  It is a logistical nightmare. I live less than mile from the stadium and I have to plan out my route like I'm taking backroads all the way to Florida.

I did manage to go the game and watch us lose again. Also drank too much in a short period of time which made my head fill like it was going to explode at work today. A good reminder that I'm not 20 years old.

Card time

I think Mark is now the official leader among my trade partners.  This marks our eighth trade! At this pace he'll be sending me Goudey's by spring :)





Bob Walk intermission.







I saved the Blass and Face for the end as they were my two favorites. It would have been interesting to see how Blass's career would have turned out if he hadn't lost his ability to throw strikes. It was dubbed Steve Blass disease. The fielding version is sometimes called Steve Sax syndrome. Pedro Alvarez dealt with this issue at third base this year. 

Roy Face revolutionized the relief pitcher.  He held may of the all time relief pitching stats up until the early 80's. He had pitched in 846 games! A lot of his records were broken by Kent Tekulve.

Thanks for all the great cards Mark. I always get excited when I see an envelope with your name on it. 1960's Pirates were a blast to look at. Your return package will be on the way shortly!

Have a good weekend.

6 comments:

  1. The fielding version sometimes gets Mackey Sasser attached to it too.

    Those are some great cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony! I always feel bad when it starts to happen to guys. Something you've done your entire life and for some reason it just goes away.

      Delete
  2. Goudeys? At this rate Mark's going to be sending you N172 Old Judge Alleghenys.

    Awesome haul as usual from Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I don't know if Mark and I will be able to keep up our pace, but I'm sure going to try.

      Delete